Used 2004 Chevrolet SSR Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet SSR

LS 5.3L V8 4-speed Automatic 4.1 ft. Bed - (60 reviews )

Like nothing else on the road
By dogd923

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Got my dream vehicle this January-a yellow SSR. Always wanted one, but the expense (they ARE pricey) was holding me back. A local dealer found me an '04 SSR with 900 miles. Low mileage ones are available-since these are NOT daily drivers. New ones go for 50k, but mine was a little over half that. True,mine has the 5.3 v8-the new ones have the 6 litre Corvette motor, but they look identical, and my truck has no problem in the power department. The truck gets lots of attention,from its 'old school" looks, bright paint, and the throaty growl of the V8-if you don't want to attract a lot of attention-don't buy one of these-gets smiles, and thumbs up everywhere I take it.

The Bose stereo,heated seats, big oversized shifter/console. The unique retractable hardtop. The rear storage area is big, and accessed by a button- no handles-very cool. Whole package reminds you of a fat-fendered 3 window coupe street-rod.

Rear visibilty is the only complaint I have. The small side mirrors LOOK cool, but you can't see well with them. The rear of the truck is 'jacked up' slightly, so backing up is a very hairy process-you DON'T want to bump anything with such an expensive vehicle like this-and you can't really see behind

Loving my SSR
By james mayo

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love to let the top down and take my wife for sunset cruises. My SSR is yellow. It is so beautiful against the sunset. It also gets a lot of looks and comments from other motorists. I let my best friend drive it. He loved it so much that he bought one. I will keep my SSR till I die.

Retractable hardtop and the old timey looks. Also like the Corvette engine and love the sound of the exhaust pipes

More wild colors

What a riot.
By Wingnuts

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I traded in an F-150 FX4 for this ride and love every second of it! Talk about a fun drive, but if you are an introvert you'll hate it because everybody wants to talk to you about it. Top down is the absolute best especially @60mph or less. The only issue I've had is cavitating with the windows down and the top up over 40mph. I'm glad I waited on it though as the dealer knocked off $15k from the sticker.

Top down all the way!

Fix cavitating noise with the windows open.

Lots of Fun
By Dave

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The SSR is fun to drive and gets lots of attention. It fits our need for going to the beach as well as hauling golf clubs.

The convertable top and 40's look. Great for all the sunny days in Florida

More room beside seats to reach controls. Improve window casings to avoid scratches

Attention Getter!
By berne1

2004 Chevrolet SSR 2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I got my 2004 SSR in December. The prices have come down since the launch. This car is definitely an attention-getter! The first day I got it I was stopped at the dry cleaner by a passerby to give me a compliment. I can't wait for summer to put the top down. This car looks sleek and low but actually sits up quite high, which is the best of both worlds. I love the interior design with the gauge package and upgraded stereo.

Exhaust note is tuned like a '60s muscle car. Exterior styling theme carries over into the interior. Gauges look cool. Inside of the cargo area is beautiful, almost a shame to put anything back there. This car stayed VERY true to the concept car. Handles better than expected in bad conditions.

No XM radio available - why? Acceleration isn't great from the 5.3L engine. Handling is true to it's truck roots. Seat controls are hard to reach due to limited room between seat and door. Maybe they should be relocated to door panel.