Used 2017 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Sonic for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Hilarious Vehicle

Archi Gaebel, 08/11/2017
Premier 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The Sonic Turbo Premier is hilarious to drive (for a day or two) while my ten year old BMW X3 is in the shop for age-related repairs and maintenance. "Hilarious" as in "It's a joke", not it's actually fun to drive. First off, my 10 year old Bimmer, worth about half of what you can buy this Chevy Sonic for, still vastly outperforms it and is a ton more fun to drive and feels safer to boot. So much for "Would I ever consider owning this vehicle?". The answer is a resounding NO! Why not? I mean first impressions are of this car are not so bad. The exterior styling is not crazy or terrible. It is not good either. It just is. The Sonic sedan has a very basic, neutral car shape, the kind you get when you ask a toddler to draw a car. It is somewhat narrow and short but tall when compared to our BMW 328i, almost like Chevy took a Malibu and just trimmed off some excess fat on the sides, rear and front. The cabin is not a terrible place for an econo box. It appears roomy enough, has quite a few gadgets, buttons and a touch screen (in this trim level) and the plastics LOOK decent. All of these judgements, however, vanish when you start driving it. While there is plenty of headroom, even for tall people, legroom is cramped, not just in the back but also annoyingly in the driver seat. I am six foot tall and my legs are too long for a comfortable use of the left foot rest or the accelerator and brake pedals when I adjust the seat to allow a normal arm distance to the steering wheel. (Gorillas with really long arms might do better.) Visibility is not great either. Although the windshield is large, the short stubby hood just vanishes from view and it is very difficult to get a feel for where the front of the car starts. Rear visibility and right side visibility is severely compromised by the enormous headrests (which clearly come from a full size truck and take up most of the airspace of this small car). Once you start touching the visually decent plastic trim you realize that it is not the softer, richer material it masquerades as, but very cheap, basic hard plastic straight from a Yugo. But now to the truly hilarious part of driving this car, its performance. I drove it mostly in town with speed limits around 45 miles per hour. At first I thought I was going way too fast until a look at the speedometer informed me that I was actually chugging along about five miles below the speed limit! The car feels strained and bothered when driven at speeds greater than 35 - 40 mph. Still this is not yet the most fun you can have with the Sonic Turbo. Go find an empty stretch of road without speed bumps (like the access road to my work's parking lot) and floor it. I did just that, going about 30 mph I floored the accelerator and ... absolutely NOTHING happened for at least a second, then the little beast huffed and puffed and lurched forward at the breakneck speed of 40 mph, I almost died laughing. This lack of performance is unfortunately less laughable when you have to pull out into heavy, fast-moving traffic, then just pray a Rosary (or two) while you wait for any acceleration to quick in ...

great for what we need

jessie michael cutler, 02/01/2020
LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

it's a great car. Can do all that we need it to do. It has no problems. Thanks

An fun and safe sub compact, with a catch.

Andrew M., 06/04/2020
LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I've had my Sonic for around three years. The seats are comfortable, the dash is modern. It is equipt with an infotainment center which poweres some lacking, but alright, sounding speakers. It has a smooth ride, as well as a very well build set of struts and shocks. The brakes are more than adequate, even when you decide to drive it more aggressively than usual! My specific model has the 1.8l inline four, it isn't the largest nor the most powerful motor, but it can be fun at times! I enjoy knowing that I, as well as my passengers, are safe. The full surround airbags truly give you an unparalleled sense of security. Now for the bad It treated me great, with the occasional visit to a shop for minor repairs. First the rear brake drums locked up while driving in icy conditions. Next, my driver side weather strip pulled away while I was on the freeway. This caused some minor body damage. The stock speakers lack depth of sound, and the infotainment center appears to lack the power necessary to drive better aftermarket speakers. The pump to my windshield wiper nozzles completely failed. The fuses that controlled my radiator fan failed, causing my vehicle to overheat. As it is a smaller displacement engine, it runs quite a bit hotter than its larger counterparts. As the fan was not engaging, the engine overheated. This could have made the engine fail. I have had several coil packs replaced, as they stopped working in rapid succession. As I am typing this, I am still waiting for an appointment to a local shop to fix yet another faulty pack. This has all happened 40,000 miles into its life. As this car was purchased new, I know that it has been very well maintained. My verdict? I might have purchased a lemon, these things do happen. When it runs, it runs well and drives like a dream. When it doesn't, it gets towed to a shop. I'd recommend seeking a other vehicle.