Used 2014 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Chevrolet Sonic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

Sonic the Hedgehog
By Sherry Raimey

2014 Chevrolet Sonic LS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

If you prefer the "extras" - camera, navigation, entertainment system - purchase one with it included. Car rides well, has great sound system, great gas mileage, handles well, and the safety features are outstanding! Great first-car for new drivers; adorable for more-seasoned drivers. Very reliable-just keep up basic maintenance. I <3 this car!!!

Can Use Improvement
By Melissa

2014 Chevrolet Sonic LS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my car new in 2014. It fit my then situation and lifestyle. I liked the layout and look of the inside and the ability to lay down seats to carry more cargo. After 3-4 months of owning it, the battery exploded and ate through the cables. I live in AZ, and yes it's hot, but no reason a battery should fail THAT fast. Covered under warranty so no biggie. I think started having cosmetic issues : rear view mirror came loose and fell off, left driver mirror became lose, exhaust rattled causing a lot of noise in the rear end, and the tires constantly needed air. I'm a careful driver so we can't blame any of that on driving habits. I also had a fuel sensor replaced about six months into the car, and recently replaced again about 2 months ago. My battery also died again 2 weeks ago, so in 2 years the car has had 3 batteries. I took a trip to the Grand Canyon recently and the car struggled terribly to climb the mountains from Phoenix to Northern AZ. It did not want to shift gears and worked very hard climbing with no acceleration. All in all, I would not purchase this car again for the maintenance issues alone. This car is more so for a teenage driver just starring out, who doesn't drive in hill/mountainous areas (flat land only). The interior is nice and it's fun to drive, but mechanically, very much so on the low end. I do not recommend for people over 6'0 or someone with taller children as I have an 11 year old who is 5'5 and can no longer fit in the backseat.

Small car with big interior
By Mike Moran

2014 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I'm 6'3", and the driver's seat has more headroom than some SUVs I've driven. The trunk is equally spacious, and I was able to move all of my things (except for furniture) no problem. I've primarily used it for longer (3-10 hours) road trips and short (<10 minutes) commutes.

Chevy Sonic 2014
By Christie

2014 Chevrolet Sonic LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

2014 sonic Only have had the car for 8 months
By AL

2014 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car with 20,000 miles under warrenty thank god! This car jerks really bad while it shifts and when you are trying to slow down in rush hour traffic in Atlanta. It has been to the dealership many many times. They tried fixing the problem by changing out the clutches, then a week later the transaxle fell out of place at a stop light, I was an hour away from home near my work. The car could not go anywhere. It just kept rolling backwards. I had to keep my foot on the brake. It wouldn't even work in park, it would still roll backwards. I had to put my emergency brake on and what for a cop to push my car out of the highway. I had to let my car coast all the way to a restaurant. Then get it towed to my dealer. They fixed my transaxle but it still jerks and feels like it's going to stall. I am in the middle of a legal settlement with GM.
Please don't buy this car