Used 2012 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Sonic

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

Great car, handles very well
By Marie Houk Houk

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

1.4 turbo 6 speed manual
By Mark Sicafuse

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This car is fun to drive. No mechanical issues other than sway bar links covered under warranty. Sport package with 17" wheels not super great in northeast Ohio winters but the other 10 months a joy to drive and own .

Should have bought a Ford
By Diane Shafer

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

First thing I noticed was the headrests were too high to see over. I was told I would get about 30+ mpg. I get maybe 24, pushing it, and I drive mostly highway. There was a recall on the transmission and I had it repaired in 2014. In 2015, the transmission went out, and so did the brakes. The wiper blades are custom, and cost anywhere from $35 on up. Very disappointing and if I didn't want to get this thing paid off and not deal with a payment again, I would have gotten rid of it.

2012 Sonic LT
By D. Meeks

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Bought it. Love it!

Should have kept looking
By Diane

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

There was a recall on this car for the transmission 2 years after I purchased it. It was repaired. The next year, I was driving to work and noticed when I put my foot on the gas, it didn't sound right. About a mile later, the car began making an extremely loud noise then stopped running. Luckily, I had just gotten off the highway (rush hour traffic). The car was towed and the repair shop diagnosed it as the transmission. Again, it was repaired. I'm still not pleased with how the car sounds and no longer trust it to go on a long trip. Also, I was told gas mileage was close to 30 miles to a gallon. It's not even close to that, even on highway driving. I've had problems with the tires regularly needing air, even shortly after purchasing the car. Just too many problems for a new car.