Used 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 3500 model:

Unreliable engine/transmission
By Lloyd S.

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Personal and business use. Duramax Diesel. Uncontrollable rpms while towing. Truck shut down to a crawl at freeway speed. Had to be towed to dealer. 7 days later, truck was repaired. Final analysis was a wiring harness failure. Has happened several time to date and will be seeking counsel to rescind my contract for a vehicle that I cannot depend on.

The comfort of the leather adjustable seats. XM radio is really nice.

Prior to signing/purchase, sales people need to be trained to use a check off list to go over with customer. This would insure that customer is aware of mechanical issues. For example, to date, no one has explained that this truck has a variable speed electric fan.

RVing Truck
By Charles & Barb

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

We have driven this truck on flat and in hills to mountains and it has never let us down. We live in a 5th wheel trailer and drive all over this country,on Interstates and dirt ,and this diesel just keeps driving with the rest of the traffic.

We enjoy the satellite radio, the power seats and the mirrors that extend out so we can see behind. All the information that is on the steering wheel buttons it tells you everything about how the truck is running.

Make the tire valve stems easier to use on the rear duallys.

Chevy 3500 with a Recovery Solutions bed
By Mike

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4dr Extended Cab Work Truck 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased an '05 3500 this year, and I have nothing bad to say about my truck. I have always been a Ford man, but after hearing about their problem with that 6.0 powerstroke motor, I decided to go with the Duramax, and let me tell you, it is the most fuel efficient, most powerful and responsive diesel I have ever had. I've gone though three different super dutys, and I am over the headaches with the Fords. The Ford may look meaner, but I have high hopes for my new Chevy.

Chevrolet C3500 evaluation
By Bill Riordan

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4dr Extended Cab LT Rwd LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is an excellent vehicle, equipped with 6.6L Duramax diesel engine and Allison five speed automatic transmission. Have gotten 16 miles per gallon on highway trip, driving at the posted speed limit (70+).

Duramax Diesel engine, Allison automatic transmission, OnStar, XM satelite radio, heated seats, automatic seat adjustment for up to two drivers.

Would like to see the front end sheet metal changed to a more rugged look, such as the new Ford F350. Am assuming that the new 2006-07 model will feature such changes to the front end.

My Review of my 3500 Chevrolet
By Andy Graves

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4dr Extended Cab Work Truck 4WD LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

My 3500 is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. If I hadn't bought this vehicle then I would be out of a job. When I looked at the price on my truck, I thought I would never find the vehicle I wanted. When I finally found my truck I thought I was going to faint. The salesrepresentative I spoke with was very understanding about my money problems. He gave me a good deal.

My most favorite feature on the 3500 is the 4-wheel drive

The only two improvements I can think of are the riding & the tire size. The riding is really rough but thats expected out of a truck. The tires could be an inch or two larger.