Used 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

2008 chevy 2500 hd
By beikegm

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Major disappointment.
Transmission problems since day one, door lock actuators fail repeatedly, overheats when pulling a trailer. Had rims and chrome trim replaced from corrosion, and it's doing it again!
gm wont replace it a second time.
Trying to trade it off but can't find a dealer who will give me anything for it. Learned my lesson after 20 years of being a gm only owner it's time to change.

Best GM Product to Date
By rseebo

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I was skeptical in getting another GM product as the prior 3 were trash.
I had an 05 2500 Diesel that would do nothing but overheat while pulling my toyhauler and the dealer said there were no issues.
I pulled this same trailer from Cali to Ga. loaded down with 13k + lbs and the only thing that was bad about it was my tires wore down after 20k miles.
This truck pulls like a dream and has no mechanical issues at all!!!
18 - 19 mpg on hwy and 11 mpg while towing with 1 size up on stock tires, could be a little better.
If I had to have a complaint it would be that you can't put an 18" wheel with a 285 tire under the front end without shaving the wheel wells.

towing, torque and nothing but power to spare.

Extend the front wheel well a couple of inches.

Junk bed
By straight working

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4dr Crew Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I've owned my duramax 2500 since sept. 2008, I use it for work which it has a 110 gallon fuel tank and a weather guard saddle tool box. In one year of use the bed is pushing out and cracking along the sides at the end of the tool box. I've own two Dodge 2500's and never had the problem, dealer states the problem as having to much weight. I think Chevy needs to build a better bed for the 2500's for guys who use their trucks for work. Also took the truck in three times to have interior tighten up do to rattles. Otherwise truck is not bad for pulling trailers and cruising around, don't put anything on bed rails!!!

Smooth ride, Duramax & Allison, driver controls.

Stronger bed, less rattles in the interior.

Great truck
By Neil

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT2 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I chose this model as it could be converted to also use CNG and now I get about 20 mpg (CNG) on the freeway at 65 - 70 mph. With gasoline it would be 3 mpg better but CNG is $1.53/gal I use it in the mountains (+9000 feet) and it just goes anywhere. Upgraded to 285/75/16 tires for a snowplow (clearance) - Plow works fine with the 160 amp alternator. Replaced the catalytic converter in first year but otherwise no problems and I now have 34K miles and 2 years on it. I enjoy driving this truck. Its comfortable and rides easy. I tow a 8000 lb back hoe trailer with ease.

6 speed transmission with the manual gear selection option. 4WD on the fly shift in to or out of 4HI.

A 4WD indicator light on speedometer - the 4wd control is hidden by the steering wheel and gear shift. Larger tires.

Bad Mistake
By Ross

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my 08 2500hd 6.0 L used with 4k miles. It seemed really nice. Was told another dealership owned and went out of business. This pickup is a pile of CRAP, nice interior and exterior, but I buy vehicles for them to work. Horrible fuel mileage 12 max no matter what you are doing! Everything rattles, ride is so rough and loud. My 02 1500 5.3 L had more power and got same mpg pulling as 08 2500hd but way less empty. Not impressed with dealer either, can't even get in to get worked on. What a joke. I am going to buy back my 02 with 100k, 10 times the truck.

Interior design

power, mileage, ride, narrow tires look dumb