Used 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

huge fuel filter problem
By hughessk

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

this is a great truck as long as you only use premium fuel and drive it in warm climates. the fuel filter will clog if you use bio fuel, or a lower grade fuel. when the filter clogs the engine will go into a 2000 rpm lockdown and will not shift. this will happen even after truck is warm,the first time you try to merge onto the expressway in rush hour traffic, at 25 degree weather and snow covered road, YOU WILL BE IN FOR THE RIDE OF YOUR LIFE or FOR YOUR LIFE. I have 900000 miles on this truck and have had to replace the fuel filter ($35) 11 times??? I have purchased fuel from 15 different stations. CHEVROLET SOLUTION " use premium fuel, Use an addative($11)and let the truck idle 20 minutes

this truck " WHEN IT RUNS" will pull anything I can load on my trailers

FIX THE FUEL FILTER PROBLEM THAT YOU KNOW IS A MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE.

Nice Ride
By Robert

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT3 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I now have 67000 miles on my Silverado and I still love it. The LBZ Duramax has never had a wrench on it and the Allison transmission is bulletproof. I regularly tow 10K lb. loads with it and it get 12-13mpg at 80mph through the North Carolina foothills. The ride is exceptionally smooth when compared to my two previous SuperDuty trucks. I got 26mpg on an unloaded trip over three different tanks of fuel averaging 60mph. Great quality. Great resell value. I would definitely consider buying another when the time comes...

excellent power, transmission always knows where to be, comfortable interior

too much plastic on interior, factory tires are wimpy - it should come with at least 265/75R16 tires like the ford and Dodge trucks

OK
By 67getx

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT1 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I bought my truck with 5300 miles on it. I was replacing a '98 Xtra Cab GMC that I loved. This truck does what it is supposed to do. I pull a 18' trailer regularly and it does fine. It has a rougher ride and the seat is not comfortable to me. They raised the body from the older ones so you have higher to lift things into the bed. Gas mileage is about what I expected. The transmission slipped and the dealer replaced my convertor. No other problems since. Has more wind noise in the cab than the 8 year old truck I got rid of.

I like the look of the truck. The 6 L engine is peppy but not as torquey as my old 454.

More comfortable seats, better gas mileage.

Like a rock
By slick86

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is a very good truck. It has done everything I've expected it to do and more for a 2500 series truck. I would highly recomend it to any one wanting a big truck

It's the smootest riding 2500 and love the push button 4 wheel drive

For GM to make adjustable pedals in their trucks

Best Diesel Truck
By chivo

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I had a 1500HD with the 6.0 before this one and loved everything but the gas mileage. Then I got the LBZ Duramax and love it! The mileage, HP & TQ are amazing. I especially enjoy the manual transfer case I was lucky to get my hands on. Only one issue and thats the driver side suspension knocks occasionally. I think it may be due to the weight of the D-max. Other than that, I love it!

The interior room, Duramax engine, Allison transmission with manual transfer case.

Fix the pitman and idler steering issues. Wish it had a Dana 60 front axle rather than the IFS