Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

2500HD 6.0 4x4 Reg Cab 64,000 miles
By Rob

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Wonderful truck in the snow! Gas mileage is what you would expect, lousy. Alternator chewed up rear bearing at 62,000 miles. Seems to rust easy, all front brake lines are very rusty. Had a scare recently, when engine stalls you have no brakes! I guess that would be my only serious complaint about the hydraulic brake system.

Power, go anywhere with the right tires. Tows great.

Frame and brake line rust prevention.

Outstanding truck!
By dsc362

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

THis truck has been a great vehicle. I have the Duramax Diesel / Allison tran, 4x4, CC, LT package. I added a powerchip programmer to it and I get around 18.5mpg, not pulling a trailer, around 13mpg pulling a loaded 18', but the power remains the same either way. You can not go wrong if you need a truck for driving around town or pulling a trailer around.

MPG, interior design, POWER.

Injectors, had mine go out at 90k, but dealership repaired at no charge.

Fuel Injector problems
By Kurt & Cindy

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Paid all cash and had hopes for many years of good use. At about 90K we had fuel injector problems which were repaired under warranty. 50K later at 140,000 we began to see smoke from the tail pipe. Took the car into Chevy service and was told that two or three injectors were beginning to fail, but that they still tested to be acceptable by GM standards. The car billowed smoke, a few weeks later we found fuel in our motor oil. Still no budge from GM to repair the injectors which were covered under a extended warranty but still tested within their standards. GM didn't care if we blew our motor as it wasn't covered. We're done with GM.

Pay attention to your customers. They are the ones who will keep you in business.

One Nice Truck!
By overhaul

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I just bought this truck about a month ago. Only problem was a bad serpentine belt. The power is very nice. I have the 6.0L and I can't feel any weight that I haul - It's like its not there. I used to have a 94 Chevy Cheyenne with a 305, and anytime that I put even just passengers in it, it felt lugged. I love the interior - feels like I am sitting in a recliner in a living room. I average about 10mpg when I am not towing, but hey, its an HD. Love the 3000lbs+ payload. It's very cozy on the highway.

Pulling Power, 4.10 with the locking differential, roomy interior, four doors, tonneau cover, turning radius isn't too bad, and quiet.

Fuel economy, needs bigger tires, and I certainly don't care for the electronic gas pedal.

Diesel long haul
By True North

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I love my truck, it's got great power, fuel economy, looks good, does everything I need it to do with no fuss.The drivetrain on this truck is amazing. The Allison 5 speed is far superior to the Dodge/Ford trannys. Not the toughest 4wd truck though, and the power extendable tow mirrors never like to work properly. I also think it sits too low for a 4x4 3/4 ton in the front, not enough ground clearance like the Fords and Dodges have.

Duramax Diesel, intuitive allison transmission, Bose 6 disc 200W stereo.

Bigger tires. I can't stand the 29" tires GM equips 3/4 and 1 tons with. And ditch the IFS front end, I can't stand it. The tie-rods are far too weak, and it can't take an offroad beating like the Fords and Dodges can. Not impressive for a 3/4 ton truck. I miss the old Dana 60 solid front end.