Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

A lot of hype
By Cash

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The Chevy Duramax with the Allison transmission is not worth it. This is the second diesel I have owned and it was just as bad as the Ram. The fuel rail needed to be replaced at 100,000 miles. At 120,000 the supposed best transmission on the market the Allison needed to be replaced. I pull a 8,000 pound trailer once a month and run synthetic fluids in everything that I change per the manufacturer recommendation and after 120,000 miles the transmission was gone. Can you believe that?? At 125,000 miles the ball bearings on the front end went out on the freeway and almost killed my son. At 150,000 miles I needed all new injectors. This truck has been nothing but a money pit. Most of the time it can't even do what I need it to. If you are pulling down the freeway it does fine but if you slow to a crawl and pull just a 3,000 lb trailer up a dirt road it will over heat in less then 15 minutes. The climate control knobs have been almost useless since 100,000 miles. I have also had a lot of problems with locks and windows. The only good things I can say about this truck is that it is a comfortable ride in both the front and back. I will also say I have never had any trouble with the 4x4 system.

Chevy Silverado Truck reviews
By Ann Hansel

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab Rwd LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

This vehicle is nice looking, comfortable and great on the highway. I really enjoy driving it and would purchase another one again.

Awesome truck
By BobbyD

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have 327000 miles and the truck is awesome. No issues just change the oil regular and just put on the forth set of Michelins.

345,000 miles on original motor doing great

Beware
By amicozzi

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Chevy silverado's are one of five most repaired vehicles. "Consumer reporting". I have spent over 8000 on my 03 for repairs not including regular maintainance. Never again! GM you should not be in business!

Shocked with all the positive Reviews
By edthebuilder

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

1st, I have the 8.1L engine. Pulls great but mileage is disgusting. $80 in the tank and the range says 212 miles. Only have 70K on it (who can afford to drive it).
Purchased as dealer demo w/ 7K on it, got home & oil was not even on the stick.
Found out that you must add a quart of oil every two fill ups.
Dealer told me "that's normal". Gages went out & was part of recall & class action suit but that expired & now its $550 for a rebuilt unit...thanks GM.
Garage stored but undercarriage is all rusted!
Brakes are awful. Lots of confidence w/ 10,000 lbs behind me on a wet road. This thing rides like a dump truck. This is my last GM EVER.
I'm out...
My next truck will be a Toyota

It does pull well. When I pull trailers, you don't know they are back there, until you need to break. The interior cabin is reasonably well designed and the seats are comfortable but very stiff.

Braking system is poor. gas mileage must be improved. Electronics are poor but I have never had a GM that hasn't had electrical issues. undercarriage should be better coated. Oil consumption is unacceptable.