Used 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

Virtyually trouble free
By Joe

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Fuel economy is abysmal, 11mpg around town and 15 on the highway. Ride is very good for a 3/4 ton truck and the spit cloth front seats are comfortable, as are the rear. I can fit 3 adults or a couple car seats and/or boosters with no problem, I just wish the middle seat had a headrest. Everything is laid out logically and the materials are fine with the exception of the hard plastic dash, but no rattles as of 181K miles and my interior is still in near new condition. 6.0 liter tows very well with more grunt than I expected. It does burn 1-2 quarts of oil between oil changes (5000 mile intervals) depending on the type of driving. It also developed an exhaust manifold leak around 100k but it goes away after the engine has warmed up, about 5 minutes or a few miles. The 4 speed automatic has been rock solid but it could use two more gears. Reliability has been outstanding. One sensor covered under warranty and routine maintenance, that's it. Having previously owned Ford trucks I'll have to say I've been very impressed. I'd say I'd buy another one but I figure I have at least another 100K miles to go before I will need to.

15 years of happiness
By Larry Marina

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought mine new in 2002.It was stolen last week. I feel like I lost a member of my family. Of course I am being screwed by my insurance company.

What Fuel Economy?
By silveradohd

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I own a 2002 2500 HD Silverado 4x4 with the 6.0L engine that has 115000 miles on it for six years now and i could not be more pleased with it. I've done a few mods to it like larger tires, flowmaster cat back exhaust, K&N air filter and some other cosmetic items.The truck has been super reliable and is a blast to drive. As far as fuel economy, I didn't buy it for that. but It still gets about 16 mpg and tows anything i put behind it. As far as fuel economy is concerned 16 mpg from that big of a motor isn't that's bad. Their maybe more efficient trucks on the market today but I would still put my Silverado up against any gasoline truck out there as far as perfomance and reliability.

Favorite features, It's a Chevrolet of course. But anyway the power of the 6.0L engine is awesome and other than regular maintenance it's been great. The ride is awesome and handles like a much smaller truck, You can actually turn around in a parking lot unlike other 2500 trucks (Fords). It still has that old school look to it, it reminds me of the 72 chevy pickups. Plenty of room inside with the four doors, A full size person can be very comfortable in the back seat on extended drives and the kids love the room.

I really can't think of any improvements other than i wish i would have found one that didn't have all tan interior. Not that i don't like it, it's just a little blah. I've already changed some of the interior out for the black and plan on changing some more of it, But not all of it i like the two tone look inside the truck. It could have a roll down back window, That would be really nice in the summer when you don't feel like running the ac and just want some fresh air.

Chevy 2500HD LT Diesel
By Golden Eagle

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Very reliable truck. I have had this one for almost 7 years. The only problem is a mechanical dysfunction that was covered under the warranty at about 80,000 miles. Mileage is about 17-19/mpg. The diesel is louder than the newer models but still quiter than the competition from the same years. The 4WD has never acted up. All interior features are still working properly. Have not put any money into this truck since purchase except regular maintenance and tires. I could not have had a better truck over the last 7 years. Would like a new model, but with the cost, I will just keep this one going. It still looks new from the street and pulls like a train.

Looks great, Pulls like a champ. All the Ford and Dodge owners always ask about the Duramax diesel and the Allison transmission. Interior features are excellent. I have only praises about this truck.

Ole Faithful
By Webe

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I bought the truck new as it came off the transport truck, seriously. This truck has done anything I have asked of it and is still going strong. Other than normal maintenance, I have had it in the shop for a fused transmission sensor. That is it. Averaging 17 mpg in town, 25 on the highway, and 17 when pulling 13000 camper I cannot complain about that at all. With a truck this size, that is great. I see me running this truck probably til I die. It is that good a truck.

The body style. Why they only built it three years is a mystery to me. I think it is the best looking model ever made, except for the "50". Love the ease of 4X4 as needed. The diesel and transmission has proven extremely reliable and dependable. A/C in 110 degree doesn't overheat.

Console is a bit much. Better placement of the speakers. Cloth seats could be of a more wear resistant material.