Used 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Throttle Body failed 2 times in 3 years
By slamamama15

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased this truck brand new Oct 2009 with the heavy duty towing package Z71 4x4.
We had to put a new engine in the truck Oct 2010, after that problems continued.
Dec 2010 the throttle body failed as I was driving down the highway, Stablizer, engine light, traction, lights flashed, door locks when crazy and just stopped in the middle of the interstate.
Yesterday 2.17.2013 it proceeded to do it again on the interstate. Second time in 50,000 miles we have had to replace the throttle body on our fairly new truck.
We have other problems including 3 window motors, mirror, rough idling, & transamission rough when switching gears.
All the work has bene done at the dealers

None

Don't buy one
By aggieof10

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab XFE 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Within a month of buying this truck, all of the power locks went out. Chevy replaced them for free since it was under warranty. Then my rear power window stopped working, transmission is spotty, cant decide when to shift, tpms comes on at random times telling me my tires are flat (they arent). Put groceries in the back seat one day, and the pocket on the back of drivers seat ripped out. Turns out, they aren't sewn in at the factory, someone is there with a staple gun putting them on. Wind caught the door last week, and pulled the hinges away from the body, now the door grinds on the body work every time I open it. I am absolutely furious with this truck. Chevy used to mean something.

Buy a Ford

Not what I was expecting from GM
By joel1235

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased the truck used in November 2010 with 17K on it and the fun started about a week later. First my battery needed replacement, but then it spent a few days at the dealer looking for a popping noise they never found and is still happening. Next was a rough idle/check engine light. It was fixed a week later. Around 35K the transfer case needed replaced. At the dealer another week. This week the rough idle/check engine light thing started again(40K). An independent shop told me it was the same trouble code as last time, and that the problem was with the piston rings, and I may need a new motor. I wish I could go on, but I'm running out of space.

Great interior/exterior styling. Four-wheel drive. Better gas millage than competitors.

Get the bugs out before these trucks are offered to the public GM! We will not continue to do your R&D for you for much longer. I've always been a Chevy fan/defender, but this truck has made me swear off GM for good. Not only has the truck been a lemon, but GM continues to make me jump through hoops before they will fix it correctly.

Power Door Locks
By silverado_sd

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LS 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

The right rear door does not work either automatically when the shifter is taken out of park, or with the key fob, or from the drivers door control panel.
It must be locked and unlocked manually, and there is no place I can find that explains what the cause could be, and can't get much help from GM unless I take it to the dealership to have it troubleshot and repaired, instead of letting me do it myself.
I am affraid that the other doors will eventually end up doing the same thing.
Also the brakes shimmy when going down hill and pulsate too.

Mileage and driving comfort.

Improve door lock system and also have a recall on the brakes as I have been told by numerous 2009 Silverado owners of the same issues with their brakes. I took it in for the brake problem several times and the dealer only puts brake noise reducer and also says that they can't repeat the problem.

2009 Chevy Lemon
By pavehwk

I purchased this truck new with 500 miles on it.
Now I have 19500 miles on the truck and I am having the engine pulled out due to a bad design.
I went in for some minor body work (2nd bow tie) and the check engine light came on.
The oil pressure was all over the board.
I had 1000 miles before it need it next oil change.
So while i was in there i had them do a oild change.
I was told that there was a 1 1/2 quarts of oil left in the block.
I was then told that they need to put a baffel in the bottom of the pan.
This was after taking the truck in 4 times to do an oil consuption check (it failed).
I had to wait to get fixed due to having 5 other trucks getting the samething done.

None

There was no recall on this only a service bulletin. I had no idea this was going on, they should let the customer know what kind of bulletines there are for the vehicale that they purchased. They can take the truck back as far as I am conserned. I could see if this truck had 100,000+ miles but 19500 come on man.