Used 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

A REAL review of the Chevy Silverado
By afmatt212

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

First off i have to address some of the reviews on the silverado. I keep reading reviews that say things like " transmission sucks" and "truck wont last over 60k!!" really people!?! I am a aircraft mechanic and have a long understanding of how engines and machines run. I own a 2008 chevy 1500 Z71 and have had ZERO issues with the vehicle, and you know why? Its simple.. buy a service manual and follow the maintance schedule!!! Change fluids and insert some grease here and there and i can almost promise you will have zero maintance failures! I love how people think you can just drive a truck into the ground and it will last. Now on to the details about my chevy!

HUGE cabin space.. you feel like your in the cockpit of the space shuttle. SAFETY.. SAFETY.. with the size of the pickup and amount good quality american steel wrapped around my family i feel like a tank on the highway. QUALITY AND VALUE!! the truck has 60k on it and i still have people ask me how many months have i owned it. paint, engine, interior has all passed my expectations.

All though i give my chevy a 4.8 out of 5 stars it still has a few issues. It turns like a 18 wheeler, you have to swing real wide to get her fat ass in a parking spot. Plastic that hides the mounting brakets to the seat break off. CITY gas miliage is horrible.. but its a huge truck and it is what it is people! My biggest issue is the ride quality. I know it has the Z71 stiff suspension, but DAMN it fill shake the fillings out your teeth some times. I am going to upgrade the suspension soon because i cant take it anymore. But overall a wonderful truck.

Problems...
By d04

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We have had numerous problems with our 2008 Chevy Silverado that we purchased new and has low miles.
One of the problems is power lock failure.
Recently the passenger side quit working, but since we are out of our warranty, GM would not cover the cost.

However, after speaking with several people from GM I found that they will do a voluntary recall if they get enough complaints from the consumer about this issue.

Even if you have already paid to have this problem fixed in the past, please call 866-790-5600 [non-permissible content removed] to let them know of the problem and maybe we can get them to do the voluntary recall so consumers can get reimbursed for the repair costs.

Not exactly what I expected it to be.
By onesix

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my truck slightly used in the summer of '09 with 22K on the dash.
I have 86K now.
Last summer at 65K my transmission went out on me.
And my only indicator was that at highway speeds the RPM's would jump up about 1500 and back down speratically for about a week before it locked up on me on the service road of a busy freeway.
Had to drive it in reverse half a mile to a gas station to park it.
Also, there have been electrical issues with the drivers side lock not locking when I press the remote and window switches not working.
Oh, and I'm on my 2nd battery already.
Can't figure that one out.
Stabilitrak disengages at times.
Looking to get out of it already.

Ride comfort is tremendous...maybe the smoothest riding truck on the road. Electrical issues in the first 2 years of driving the vehicle.

Better equipment, and better gas mileage. Yes, I know it's a truck, but I still expect more. I'm filing up the tank about once every 2-3 days it seems.

RPM Change while driving/Idle Change...?
By jaxarmyguy59

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The Chevy dealer said that this was "Normal an that it was the alternator" kicking in.
The truck while driving at any/every speed will idle up an then back down about 100 RPM's.
I have put duel flowmaster exaust on it and now this is undeniable.
You can also feel it in the truck itself when it kicks in almost every 30 seconds or so.
Im pissed!
I payed alot for this truck, and work hard for my money.
I hate beign lied to an I feel like that is just what Chevy did!
Do any of you guys know what this might be, or what it sounds like?

Thanks for the help,
-Jon

Chevy runs deep in repairs
By dlra

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Hello all! First off this truck is not what the dealer told us it was. We purschased it new. Run good when we first got it. Truck has been in the shop for more then 3 repairs. Chattering in the front dashboard, door locks have been not locking, the drivers door cable broken in side of it in order to open it. The check engine light has just came on as my dad left work today. The truck is about 100 miles overdue for a oil change but that shouldnt be the problem considering it has 79% oil life left. We have the 4 door version which is very nice for trips and fits us well. My dad has had enough of this truck. and will never buy chevy again. GM has lost alot of customers on this truck!!!

Simple as this, use bolts and not plastic clips. Bulid the truck better. You lost alot of customers due to this truck. better make a better one on 2013