Used 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Stay away from 5.3L AFM engines!
By GM_Blaine

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've always purchases only GM vehicles.
The latest purchase turned out to be my worst car-ownership experience.
The subject truck has an apparent defect that caused carbeurization in cyclinders, sticking rings and incredible oil consumption.
The vehicle was back and forth to the dealer for 12 months before I threatened legal action and finally got a warranty piston and ring replacement. The engine had just 60,000 miles at the time of the repair.
I have not been able to use this vehicle as i had hoped and I have to look now to trade it in before the rings gum up again in 40,000 miles.
GM refused to acknowledge any kind of problem for 12 months!

The body style and interior are great. It rides well. I love the design.

Replace the 5.3l AFM engine before you chase off any more loyal customers. Don't lie to your customers about known problems. If GM had been honest up front, I would be looking to replace this vehicle with another GM, instead of a Toyota. What's worse is I have also told all those in my extended family to stay away from GM products. I am an engineer who started out in the automotive sector and the patronizing by GM customer Care has tunred me against GM for the forseeable future. I suspect there are others out there that have had a similar experience.

A REAL review of the Chevy Silverado
By afmatt212

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT2 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

First off i have to address some of the reviews on the silverado. I keep reading reviews that say things like " transmission sucks" and "truck wont last over 60k!!" really people!?! I am a aircraft mechanic and have a long understanding of how engines and machines run. I own a 2008 chevy 1500 Z71 and have had ZERO issues with the vehicle, and you know why? Its simple.. buy a service manual and follow the maintance schedule!!! Change fluids and insert some grease here and there and i can almost promise you will have zero maintance failures! I love how people think you can just drive a truck into the ground and it will last. Now on to the details about my chevy!

HUGE cabin space.. you feel like your in the cockpit of the space shuttle. SAFETY.. SAFETY.. with the size of the pickup and amount good quality american steel wrapped around my family i feel like a tank on the highway. QUALITY AND VALUE!! the truck has 60k on it and i still have people ask me how many months have i owned it. paint, engine, interior has all passed my expectations.

All though i give my chevy a 4.8 out of 5 stars it still has a few issues. It turns like a 18 wheeler, you have to swing real wide to get her fat ass in a parking spot. Plastic that hides the mounting brakets to the seat break off. CITY gas miliage is horrible.. but its a huge truck and it is what it is people! My biggest issue is the ride quality. I know it has the Z71 stiff suspension, but DAMN it fill shake the fillings out your teeth some times. I am going to upgrade the suspension soon because i cant take it anymore. But overall a wonderful truck.

Nice but awefull interior
By tjdayney

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck because I got a great deal with 0% apr.
The thing I did not notice when new was how bad the interior seat fabric and dash material is.
everything sticks to the fabric like velcro.
it so almost impossible to get hair off and any dust just stick like crazy to the dash.
it looks nice when it is clean but as soon as you sit in it it gets dirty.
Drive train and mechanical functions are all good so far.
the only problem I am having is the door handle is loose and the dealer could not fix it.

The exterior style.

New material for the seats and dash. the stuff the chose is absolutely awful. It has almost made me want to sell it it is so bad.

still owning Chevy`s
By Jim & Norma

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is excellent! We've owned about a dozen new and used Chevy pickups in the last 25yrs. They just keep getting better! We like the new hood style. The ride is extremely smooth and comfortable. Visibility out all windows is great. This truck rides more like a car. I would have to say this is probably the best used pickup "so far".

Remote starting, active fuel management,comfortable interior,plenty of power, large rear seat area (plenty of leg room). I could go on and on but I`ll just say if you`re considering a new or used pickup, definitely test drive a silverado.

I wish they would have stayed with the old style wiper blades. They should also consider tailgate locks standard on all new trucks.

Love it but slightly sketchy
By KoNaGuRl

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT1 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck sight unseen except for pictures sent via email. I love it but i'm noticing some issues someonelse previously wrote about with the thud noise in the differential. I've also noticed a delay in acceleration. No longer have dealerships here on island and i've also been told those are normal??? Anyone experienced these things and if so...normal????

I love the fact it's a BIG truck. Love everything except those "normal" things i mentioned. Sound system, onstar, storage all great.

hmmm...can't think of anything.