Used 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Nice, but.......
By Jeff Boyd

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LT2 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought new a 2008 LT with Z71 package. It now has 116,000 miles on it. I would like to say trouble free, but that has not been the case. I change the oil myself every 10,000 miles and use Royal Purple and a top of the line filter. I have never had to add oil between changes, so that part is all good. Now for the bad. (A) the fuel line ruptured spraying gas all over, including in proximity of the catalytic converter, forunately now fire resulted. Even though it was off of warrenty the dealer fixed it for free as it was a safety issue. (2) at around 90,000 miles I noticed that the cover on the left CV joint was torn, and grease was everywhere. I had to have that repaired and in the process a new wheel bearing was installed. (B) at 116,000 miles the right wheel bearing failed. I have never had a wheel bearing failure in any of the vehicles I have owned, and I dont understand this. I don't work the truck hard, it is not used in harsh environments. Other than these issues I like the truck, in fact, there is nothing I don't like about it, but this causing me to consider another make other than GM for my next truck.

Purchased new; 7 years and 90,000 miles later
By Rob

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

In my experience this is a good, but maybe not great truck. Kind of a hybrid between a station wagon and a truck, lots of room and comfort in the cabin, not a lot of bed space. I've had a few irritating problems, like having to replace one of the seat belt latches and tire pressure warning lights that don't work, but nothing major. I'm looking for a new truck to replace it and will end up choosing either a Ford F-150 or another Silverado, probably the extended cab though rather than the crew cab model. I'll just go with the best deal I can find.

Chevy rocks!
By Lee Fowler

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Work Truck 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have a friend whom had a older Silverado and put over 500,000 miles, his current is 07 Silverado ands has over 300,000 miles. @325,000 the transmission was replaced. . He has some oil issue's. I personally have 08 Silverado with 81,000, only issue. . Actuator driver door.. keep it up Chevy !

Quality Issues
By 08ltxafret

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LTZ 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

08 LTZ, 48K miles dash is cracked, door lock actuators working intermitently, interior chrome handles chipping, exterior door handle paint pealing off, interior paint chipping from steering wheel and a/c instrument panel.
Under warrenty both d/p window channels replaced due to window squeaking (4 trips to dealer), rear tail light assembly replaced due to moisture (2 trips), carpet under brake/gas pedal comming loose (5 trips), p door lock actuator bad (2 trips).
Exterior paint is scracthed with the most minor rub.

Improve overall quality of ineterior/exterior parts Improve exterior paint - needs to be more resiliant to minor scratches

Not exactly what I expected it to be.
By onesix

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my truck slightly used in the summer of '09 with 22K on the dash.
I have 86K now.
Last summer at 65K my transmission went out on me.
And my only indicator was that at highway speeds the RPM's would jump up about 1500 and back down speratically for about a week before it locked up on me on the service road of a busy freeway.
Had to drive it in reverse half a mile to a gas station to park it.
Also, there have been electrical issues with the drivers side lock not locking when I press the remote and window switches not working.
Oh, and I'm on my 2nd battery already.
Can't figure that one out.
Stabilitrak disengages at times.
Looking to get out of it already.

Ride comfort is tremendous...maybe the smoothest riding truck on the road. Electrical issues in the first 2 years of driving the vehicle.

Better equipment, and better gas mileage. Yes, I know it's a truck, but I still expect more. I'm filing up the tank about once every 2-3 days it seems.