Used 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

5.3 liter AFM complete FAILURE....
By Mark Banta

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned approximately 10 Chevy trucks (8 trucks, 1 Suburban, 1 Tahoe) for 25 years and have put 200,000 miles on several of them. I currently have a 2008 Silverado with the 5.3 liter with Active Fuel Management. That engine is CRAP. I love the truck but the engine went sour at about 150,000 miles. First a Lifter failed in cylinder 6. Spent almost $2000 on repairs. Now cylinder 6 has 40 psi pressure and the dealership says the whole engine has to be replaced. Never again, GM.... Never again.

The great American truck
By raymond smith

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The truck does all things well , when highway traveling you can get up 20.5 mpg @ 65/ 70 mph which is very good for its size v8 with 315 hp,however because of its length and long wheel base it takes more effort to park , I usually park in so I can drive out. All things considered it is very comfortable even with its Z 71 package

Great truck
By John Anderson

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought New. Replaced door locks after 5 yrs. Wrecked in early 2017 and wish I had it back.

Nice, but.......
By Jeff Boyd

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought new a 2008 LT with Z71 package. It now has 116,000 miles on it. I would like to say trouble free, but that has not been the case. I change the oil myself every 10,000 miles and use Royal Purple and a top of the line filter. I have never had to add oil between changes, so that part is all good. Now for the bad. (A) the fuel line ruptured spraying gas all over, including in proximity of the catalytic converter, forunately now fire resulted. Even though it was off of warrenty the dealer fixed it for free as it was a safety issue. (2) at around 90,000 miles I noticed that the cover on the left CV joint was torn, and grease was everywhere. I had to have that repaired and in the process a new wheel bearing was installed. (B) at 116,000 miles the right wheel bearing failed. I have never had a wheel bearing failure in any of the vehicles I have owned, and I dont understand this. I don't work the truck hard, it is not used in harsh environments. Other than these issues I like the truck, in fact, there is nothing I don't like about it, but this causing me to consider another make other than GM for my next truck.

Almost no problems; 2008 Silverado Reg cab, LB 4wd
By C. Henry

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 8 ft. LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Had to list this as a LT regular cab long bed, 4 wd. Actually is an LS, which in 2008, was just a Work Truck with a chromed front bumper and chromed steel wheels. Mine also has "Trailering equipment package", which is the same as "Towing package" without the locking G80 rear differential.
It has the 4.8 with 4 speed auto. No power windows, no power locks, no cruise control, no power mirrors. Has A/C. The 4.8, thankfully, did not have the variable cylinder engine until a few years later. Then the 4.8 was dropped entirely.

I purchased it new in Sept., 2008 at the old GM's fire sales. Truck was made the last week of 2008 production in June 2008. At their best plant at the time, Ft. Wayne. It has very dependable with almost no problems I do all maintenance on it. No rattles or squeaks at 65k.

Currently at 65k miles. It has seen all sort of use from heavy urban gridlock to local country roads to Freeway use. I changed out all fluids between 50k and 60k miles. Brake, coolant, transmission, front differential, rear differential, and transfer case fluids. This year, at 62k miles, I replaced the front and rear brake rotors , drums, pads and shoes. The rear drum shoes were almost done, but the front pads could have gone another 10k. Engine consumes almost no oil between 4k to 5k oil changes.

Non wear items replaced since new:

--Rear shocks were shot at about 40k. Replaced with KYB gas-adjust mono tubes which are great and match the front strut valving well.
--Turn signal clicker not audible at 50k. Sound for TS comes from left speaker. Unbelievably cheap paper door speakers replaced with cheap Pioneer speakers. --All good. ( common problem).
That's it!

I attribute the good reliability my Silverado has had to the fact it doesn't have the things that frequently cause trouble on the GMT's.

--No cylinder deactivation on the 4.8 in that era. No piston ring/oil consumption or camshaft problems because of that.
--No power locks or power windows which cause many problems.
--No Eaton G80 locker rear differential which some people have experienced failure with. With manual shifted 4wd and an open rear axle I have had no trouble --making it through even heavy snow.

Due to the lack of any power accessories and being a regular cab, the truck is fairly light. I believe this 4.8 can easily match or beat the ubiquitous 5.3 with extended or crew cab 1500 in acceleration.

It has a very wide turning circle, but the use of rack and pinion steering starting in 2007.5 makes it pleasurable truck to drive.

Gas mileage is not so good. When I commuted to work, with a total mix of driving, I averaged about 15.5 mpg. Mostly local roads and shorter trips now. I seldom see more than 14 mpg. It will still do 17 to 18 mpg on infrequent Interstate highway runs. No mileage bonus with the 4.8 over the 5.3.

Used buyers may like to know that GM in 2008 and post bankruptcy, 2009 made up different equipment packages that did not exist in catalogs. You may get something that shouldn't have been on your truck ( sometimes heated power mirrors on an LS trim) or not get something that should have been included.