Used 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Great Truck for the Money
By cwosimon

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great truck, have the 4.8 V-8, well equiped w/ trailer pkg. Very good power, handles well, good gas mileage. Not as fun as my Dodge Dakota SLT, but close and 40% better mileage. It is our trip vehicle, pulls our two jets ski's, all our gear and the three of us with no problem. At 25,000 miles nothing other than normal maintenance. Well laid out interior and both front and back seat are comfortable. Will buy another is 4 or 5 years.

Gas mileage (ocasionally over 20 mpg on hwy), average 17.5. Dual climate control, good power..

Drive train is somewhat clunky.

You get what you pay for
By darasdad

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 8 ft. LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

My truck has the V6, limited slip differential, A/C, and cruise, and the sticker was $19000. The V6 is a dog. When I use the cruise at interstate speeds, the engine will speed up to 4500 rpm on even a small hill. This is excessive and unacceptable. However, I was told by the dealer that is the nature of the V6. The warning dinger is terribly loud. My limited slip differential/transmission is clunky. The windshield wipers don't come up very far for servicing, and the radio antenna is in the way when needing to scrape frost from the windshield. The cup holders placement on the floor is horrible, and everything else is quite mediochre. I guess I got what I paid for, and that is a $19k truck.

Dual zone climate control, automatic headlights.

Soften the warning dinger, more horsepower in the V6, place the antenna in the windshield, redesign the hood so that the windshield wipers can be raised, better placement of the cup holders.

Heart Beat Of America
By mrual

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck after owning a 92 S-10 4.3 Had no problems with the S-10 and i have no Problems with the silverado the silverado has a 5.3L as everyone else allways looking for better gas mileage before doing anything to my engine i was getting 18.8 MPG so i thought i would replace the OME intake system and replace with K&N cold air intake anyone thinking of doing this please do my performance went threw the roof way better gas mileage and way better performance the engine can finally breath (GM really needs to do something about there air intake systems ).. the interior is great XM and Onstar are a must love the bose sound great room front and back

XM radio, Onstar, comfort front and rear, Bose sound, steering wheel controls, computer systems in dash

Cold air antake systems. Too bad i had to replace to get way better perfomance. Taking down the spare tire looks like it can be a pain.

Excellent Truck!
By Mitchel

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS2 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have been nothing but thrilled with my truck. It has been wonderful to own and drive. I will definitely purchase another Chevrolet truck when I am in the market again.

Gas mileage, comfort, durability

None

After driving for 11k miles, still strong
By Corey

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first truck. As a hunter, homeowner, and a father, I needed 4wd, a truck bed, and 4 full doors for my family. This is the perfect family vehicle. No mini-van for me. I've put 11,000 miles on it and it's still riding smooth as day 1. I bought it 4 months old with 6,000 miles on it. I've hauled 1,250lbs of brick and dirt and tow my 2,200lbs boat in hot South Carolina summers with A/C cranked, without issue. I only wish I would've waited 3 more months for the standard 100,000 mile warranty. I'll just put my trust in Chevy to make a truck that will make it to 100,000 miles without major repair. Great truck!

Folding aluminum tonneau cover, roomy backseat, and everything else behind the bowtie.

The only thing I would improve is a higher ride height. As a former Jeep owner, I like to see over the cars. Even the 4wd model is only modestly raised.