Used 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

I'm happy with the overall performance
By hockytwn02

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LT3 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck rides so darn smooth, and has power. I am unhappy with the gas mileage, craftmanship, and engineering. However I do understand w/ the 5.3 it will consume more fuel, but at 13.8 mpg I am forced to buy aftermarket products for the truck. Not everyone can keep a tonneu cover on constantly. The tailights got broken when pulling out plywood, the carpet was not tucked in around the doors, the seatbelt cover was not screwed down, and biggest one of all is The box was very off centered. Had to take back to dealer and get a loner for 2 days. No handle for passengers to hold on to, only the bar for the front passenger.

I like the power and comfort (rides like a cadilac) of the bad machine. When you step on the gas pedal you hear the horses kick in. The height of the vehicle is great I sit higher than most trucks. The readings on the dash, very helpful.

Redesign the tailights to inset a little more, not to stick out into the bed. Place handles as a standard feature for all passengers. The hood cant see the corners in front of you very well.

Intimidator
By je

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab SS 4dr Extended Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Awesome engine and suspension combination. I have the Earnhardt limited edition. I have added dual exhaust which I think they should come stock with.

Power, style, suspension

Dual exhaust.

Great all around truck
By Rick

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LT1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have over 22K in 8 months on this truck. I drive long distances, I haul a boat with it, I haul my motorcycles, my quads. I use it as a work truck on my acreage, I use it to drag yard tools and it is the best truck I have ever owned. I had an '03 F-150 and an '05 Titan and I will never buy anything but Chevy again. Averaging over 18MPG overall. Tows great, hauls great, durable, long lasting. Love the no nonsense interior as opposed to the reviews that want luxury sissy interiors. Tough truck, great price.

Seats are comfortable. Looks better than the rest. Great power and great handling.

More storage in the back under the seats.

Great Truck for the Price
By Mark

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Work Truck 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Find that the Chevrolet extended cab work truck is an excellent value. Lots of room inside and good comfortable seating. The V6 is challenged to cruise in hilly areas without having to ramp into higher rpms, but does a good job on the highway. Most of these have exhaust vibration as mention by another reviewer. Transmission is smooth and brakes are responsive. I like the hood design for 2006 which is very rare. 21 mpg on the highway is a plus and access to the motor is easy.

21 mpg highway with good cabin comfort. You can use the back seat for adults for a couple of hours (you can't do this on many of the competitors extended cab models). Chevrolet is ready to deal and the price is very competitive. My last Chevrolet truck with a 4.3 lasted 15 years with low maintenance.

Figure out what the vibration is in the exhaust on this motor. Speakers are either low quality or the factory radio is the problem. Switching to another radio involved a $100 fee at radio installer due to the design by Chevrolet in the wiring to several other electrical components. Kept Chevy unit

Clearance Specials
By Marko221

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LT3 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased an extended cab 1500 with the "Limited Edition" package that isn't advertised much. It came with chrome 20's, special suspension, 3.73 tranny and the 5.3 V8. XM satellite radio is free for 3 months. What sold me was the 0% financing for 72 months during the July 4th weekend. Biggest complaint is the turning radius. Seems too small for a long vehicle. Excellent power. I'm chirping tires during rolling acceleration. Stiff suspension bounces you around when bed is empty. Seating for 6 is huge! I can stuff 6 adults comfortably and can still feel the power during acceleration. The overall look is mean yet distinguished. I've had many Chevy owners asking me if this is the new model.

I love the chrome 5 spoke 20's with all season Goodyear Eagles (stock GM). The red sport shocks really stand out. But the 5.3 V8 puts out great power. The 3.73 tranny coupled with "trailer mode" make pulling the boat very easy. XM satellite radio is the only way to go. But you can't beat 0%.

'07 is due out in a few months. If the Silverado in current form is continued as the "Classic" outfit, then please lengthen the steering rack to compensate for the length of the vehicle. My '05 Suburban has a tighter turn radius by almost 10 feet. Otherwise, leave it alone!