Used 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

The best truck yet
By travisaz

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Chevy truck and this is the best by far. I have more than enough power to get up and move (More than fFrd and Dodge). I have lots of room for passengers (More than Ford or Dodge). I really love this truck. No problems as of yet.

The 4.8l engine, comfort, room, towing, climbing of mountains

Put disc brakes on the rear.

Not a good ride
By Ralph Cooper

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Very bouncy rear end, not a pleasant ride even on smooth roads. GM says it is charteristic of this model, nothing they can do. Even with a load in the bed (1000+ lbs.) it still rides stiff. Had a 2004 model that was great, service mgr said they changed the design (both 4x4). I made the mistake of not driving the truck before purchase - assumed it would be the same as my 04. I would not have purchased this truck had I known. Looking for help from GM for 3 months but, to no avail. I switched to Michelin tires, some help but, still wears me out to drive long distances.

Fix shocks and/or springs in rear to provide a smooth ride.

Honest Truth
By Nathan

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This is the 2nd Silverado I have had. The new one is merely a lower mileage upgrade with more warranty. It is a great truck with no real huge problems except... the linkage in the tranny doesn't drop all of the time when you come to a complete stop from about 60mph. Also, the stock tires throw rocks like crazy!! I am a die-hard chevrolet guy though and this is the price that you pay for being brand loyal. I think overall, the truck is a good buy but just make sure you purchase the extended warranty if you are planning on keeping the truck. You won't regret it when something fails on you.

Definitely the Bose and the XM. But more realistically, the 310hp H.O. 5.3L that gets 21mpg on the interstate at 72 mph with the 3.43 gears.

Get going on a better transmission. Why is it that the consumer has to baby it to make it last?? I want something that is "BUILT LIKE A ROCK"!!!

2005 Z71 Silverado Ext Cab
By Bruce

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great ride, comfortable interior, and good gas mileage, but I don't like the new 3.42 gears. Would like my old 3.73's back.

Ride and midrange power. 3000RPM to 4000RPM she really pulls.

Lower rearend gearing option with the 5.3L

Excellent Value
By Jim

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Work Truck Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Best value in the industry. I looked at all the full size extended cab models out there, and the Chevrolet Silverado was the best buy for the price. I have owned several GM products and all of them were extremely reliable over the long haul. By that I mean they were still reliable with over 100,000 miles. The imports I have had were not.

My favorite feature is that you can buy the base truck & then fix it up to suit your taste, not the manufacturers guess of what you want.