Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 279 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

90000k
By madman350

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck still has 1/4" brake shoes left (f+r), which includes towing tandem trailer daily for 1 1/2 yrs. No one I work with owns a more reliable truck even those that cost 40-50K$. I peg the tach almost every day, uses nearly no oil, mpg avgs. 16+ city with AC; 17-19 hwy; 10-12 towing. Interior is very comfortable and no pickup has a colder AC. Here in FL I never have to run the fan past "3" for more than a minute to chase out 100+heat. The x- cab still has a 6'6" bed, Dodge has 6'3" which isn't enough. Much better ride than Dodge, and way better interior instrumentation than XLT Ford. Engine compartment is roomy, allowing ease of maintenance. The bed is low allowing easy loading of very heavy items.

Very quiet and trouble free 5.3. Smooth tranny. Locking differential enables 2wd to dominate sugar sand. Travels fast, easily, and economically. Extremely bright headlamps. The interior chimes don't drive you crazy like Ford. Roomy interior and engine compartment. Simple design=reliability. Very easy and cheap to maintain.

Make the sheet metal stronger. Add 2-5 xtra gallon tank capacity. Offer factory applied camo version for off roaders/hunters. Split rear seat. Make more z-71's available with floor transfer case shifter.

Love my Chevy
By Wendy

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This was my 1st bought new truck & I love it. I live in the country so the 4x4 gets used due to snow & mud and it has always worked like a charm. This is my everyday going to work, pulling stock trailer & my going on vacation vechicle all in one & it does it all. Other then routine oil changes I've never had to put any repair work into it. Only thing that ever happened was the overhead console came loose & I had to tighten the screw that held it. I love this truck & sorry dealerships, but I'm not going to be getting another for years probably even decades cause this is the one for me & is built to last. It still looks brand new inside & out. This is my go there go anywhere reliable truck

Love the XM radio, push button 4x4, extended cab doors that open without being a four door, rear seatbelts that are large enough for a full grown man and yet have the adjustment built into them for children. Auto mirrors, ease of laying down the back seat, push button controls on steering wheel.

Cheap build quality
By Nancy

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have always loved the Silverado but I have come to believe that they are getting more and more cheaply built. My last two Silverados have had the same airconditioner problem by the second year. My 2004 with 53000 miles just had the rear differential cover replaced because it rusted right through the middle. (And, this truck is kept garaged and underbody washed in the winter. It is'nt even my primary vehicle.) The metal used for the differential cover might as well have been aluminum foil. Not even a coat of protective paint. As I look at my 2004 compared to my 2002, I see a lot of cheaply done work and parts in the newer model. That's why my next truck will be a Toyota

Stop the cheap shortcuts.

My Dream Truck!
By JelliedMooseNose

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is awesome! It is all I've ever wanted in a truck. My 4.8 has adequate power now that I have a K&N Cold Air Intake in combination with a Dual Flowmaster 40 series exhaust. The handling is great and at times I forget how big this vehicle is. This truck has been reliable with no major problems at all. Gas mileage is reasonably well, but like they say, "If I wanted MPG's I would have got a Honda!"

The interior room is great for someone my height (6'4), the exterior styling is the best on the road, the steering wheel controls are really easy to use.

Really the only improvement would be the stereo in my opinion. They should make the Bose audio system standard on all model configurations.

Great Truck!
By Lourot

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab Work Truck Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have over 70,000 miles on this truck and it has never seen the inside of a shop for repairs. Routine maintenance is all that's require. Replaced the factory tires with Michelin ltx when they wore out and that has improved the ride and wet traction considerably.

Reliability has to be #1. I've never owned a new vehicle before that didn't need at least some warranty work done, This is first for me. #2 is the Silver Birch color. So easy to keep looking good even on a dirt road.

Seat design. I throw little stuff in the seat and it always falls through the gap between the seat.