Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 277 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Cheap build quality
By Nancy

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have always loved the Silverado but I have come to believe that they are getting more and more cheaply built. My last two Silverados have had the same airconditioner problem by the second year. My 2004 with 53000 miles just had the rear differential cover replaced because it rusted right through the middle. (And, this truck is kept garaged and underbody washed in the winter. It is'nt even my primary vehicle.) The metal used for the differential cover might as well have been aluminum foil. Not even a coat of protective paint. As I look at my 2004 compared to my 2002, I see a lot of cheaply done work and parts in the newer model. That's why my next truck will be a Toyota

Stop the cheap shortcuts.

My Dream Truck!
By JelliedMooseNose

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is awesome! It is all I've ever wanted in a truck. My 4.8 has adequate power now that I have a K&N Cold Air Intake in combination with a Dual Flowmaster 40 series exhaust. The handling is great and at times I forget how big this vehicle is. This truck has been reliable with no major problems at all. Gas mileage is reasonably well, but like they say, "If I wanted MPG's I would have got a Honda!"

The interior room is great for someone my height (6'4), the exterior styling is the best on the road, the steering wheel controls are really easy to use.

Really the only improvement would be the stereo in my opinion. They should make the Bose audio system standard on all model configurations.

Great Truck!
By Lourot

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab Work Truck Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have over 70,000 miles on this truck and it has never seen the inside of a shop for repairs. Routine maintenance is all that's require. Replaced the factory tires with Michelin ltx when they wore out and that has improved the ride and wet traction considerably.

Reliability has to be #1. I've never owned a new vehicle before that didn't need at least some warranty work done, This is first for me. #2 is the Silver Birch color. So easy to keep looking good even on a dirt road.

Seat design. I throw little stuff in the seat and it always falls through the gap between the seat.

Best purchase of the year
By chris

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased this truck used with under 26000 miles. Great truck and plenty of room for me and the crew inside the cab. Traded in my 1979 Silverado and haven't looked back. These Chevys are built to last as my last truck was a testiment to that fact. The 04 drives like a car and handles like a dream. The 5.3 liters is more than enough power to pass the folks doing 75 MPH in the fast lane. The Bose stereo has lots of thump for the headbangers and air guitarist. Caution air guitar is not recommended while driving. If I could do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing except for not buying this truck sooner.

Radio steering wheel controls. Towing capability is awesome. Bose stereo rocks. Instrument panel is easy to read and laid out nicely. Seats are comfortable enough to fall asleep. Interior on the Crew Cab has plenty of room in the rear even with the front seats all the way back. Dual climate control.

I miss the 8 ft bed of my old truck. With my tool box installed I have little room for much hauling. I solved this by purchasing a nice set of ladder racks for about $500. Gas mileage is less than advertised at about 13 city 18 hiway. Interior design is pretty plain but I could add a trim kit later.

Love My Truck
By Doug from NC

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My truck is my baby. It's ready for a night on the town or to help a friend move. It's never let me down and I feel safe and comfortable driving in rain or snow. The auto 4 wheel drive function is what gives me this feeling. 47000 trouble free miles and counting. My second Silverado and I will have it for the next 5 years at least.

OnStar is great. I love the ride, this thing holds the road and doesn't bounce around like other makes 4x4s. It really gives you a feel of control yet seems to drive itself. Seats are very comfortable and the leather is of "truck" quality which means it holds up well to wear and tear.

Locking tailgate. Get with the times and go with LED tail lights. Go back to the locking center console and glove box. Larger stock rims and tires. I suggest 17 to 18 with at least 265 tires instead of 245.