Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 277 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Good truck
By chris

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought the truck used with 37000 on it. It has been very reliable up to this point, I now have 60000 miles. I recently purchased a 29ft camping trailer and the truck did fine towing it. Maintaining highway speed was not a problem with the 6000lbs in tow. My only complaint is the brake system. I've tried new rotors and three different types of brake pads, but the brakes don't give you confidence. I wish I had the Hydro-boost system, the vaccum assist brakes are terrible.

Plenty of power, very comfortable ride, and a simple dash layout.

Brakes.

Silverado SS
By Maverikx99

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The truck is definitely fun to drive and has lots of power. Drawbacks are terrible gas mileage (and premium) and noises from the AWD caused by bad assembly of the carrier.

6.0 HO and the Bose sound.

Improved AWD system.

My Chevy
By Tom

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is so much more reliable than anything I've driven before, which include 2 Ford Rangers, a Ford Expedition, and a Toyota pickup. I haven't had one single problem or issue with it. It needs to be serviced every 3000 miles, but once I went 8,000 miles without an oil change (oops) but it can handle it. On occasion the brakes make noise but I'm not the most conservative driver and I haven't had new breaks installed since I bought it. One time I noticed something was squeaking on the inside cabin, again, this will happen with pretty much every truck, depending on how and where you drive it. Don't use this thing to commute, although it can handle it, it only gets 15-16 mpg on streets

Reliability, roominess, handling

Highway/street modes. Make the rear doors open the same as front.

90000k
By madman350

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck still has 1/4" brake shoes left (f+r), which includes towing tandem trailer daily for 1 1/2 yrs. No one I work with owns a more reliable truck even those that cost 40-50K$. I peg the tach almost every day, uses nearly no oil, mpg avgs. 16+ city with AC; 17-19 hwy; 10-12 towing. Interior is very comfortable and no pickup has a colder AC. Here in FL I never have to run the fan past "3" for more than a minute to chase out 100+heat. The x- cab still has a 6'6" bed, Dodge has 6'3" which isn't enough. Much better ride than Dodge, and way better interior instrumentation than XLT Ford. Engine compartment is roomy, allowing ease of maintenance. The bed is low allowing easy loading of very heavy items.

Very quiet and trouble free 5.3. Smooth tranny. Locking differential enables 2wd to dominate sugar sand. Travels fast, easily, and economically. Extremely bright headlamps. The interior chimes don't drive you crazy like Ford. Roomy interior and engine compartment. Simple design=reliability. Very easy and cheap to maintain.

Make the sheet metal stronger. Add 2-5 xtra gallon tank capacity. Offer factory applied camo version for off roaders/hunters. Split rear seat. Make more z-71's available with floor transfer case shifter.

Love my Chevy
By Wendy

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This was my 1st bought new truck & I love it. I live in the country so the 4x4 gets used due to snow & mud and it has always worked like a charm. This is my everyday going to work, pulling stock trailer & my going on vacation vechicle all in one & it does it all. Other then routine oil changes I've never had to put any repair work into it. Only thing that ever happened was the overhead console came loose & I had to tighten the screw that held it. I love this truck & sorry dealerships, but I'm not going to be getting another for years probably even decades cause this is the one for me & is built to last. It still looks brand new inside & out. This is my go there go anywhere reliable truck

Love the XM radio, push button 4x4, extended cab doors that open without being a four door, rear seatbelts that are large enough for a full grown man and yet have the adjustment built into them for children. Auto mirrors, ease of laying down the back seat, push button controls on steering wheel.