Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Good Truck, but...
By Matt

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased new in late 03. Has been a very good truck for me. About 1000 miles a year I would tow loads that are 75% of max according to the tech manual. No issues on engine or trans for 50k miles. In fact, it towed like a dream. At 53k miles I lost my transmission. No excessive driving or cliff jumping. It broke without warning coming out of a church parking lot and costs me $3k to replace the entire transmission. IMHO there’s no excuse for a transmission to break at 53k miles. Truck is out of warranty so the cost is on me. Chevy dealership says, “so sorry. What a rare oddity to lose a trans at 53k miles”. I’ll remember that at trade-in time.

smooth drive and towing

durability of major components. Lost transmission at 53k miles. No excuse.

I LOVE MY TRUCK ?
By curtis crockett

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my chevy on base from owning previously a chevy truck A 2000 three quarter ton. My idea was good luck once, good luck twice and was not disappointed. Driving my truck i felt empowered good on the road and safe knowing i was driving a chevy and the way it drove. Problems minimal only wear and tare issues. It seemed when problems come it was never with the engine or transmission just suspension type issues. My truck has run for two lifetimes and was only made, type and model at the end of 2003 for issue on the floor for 2004!!. Mind you me that is something worth.

four wheel drive, ride when in tough terrain

suspension wear and tare, less sensitivity to tire differences

Perfect homeowner truck
By Ozzy

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought it new Jan 2004. At 60,0000 miles I bought the first set of tires and brakes. ]I get 15 mpg city, 18 mpg highway with 4.8 liter. ] The 4WD is great in the northeast. Truck cruises at 70mph feels like a sedan, yes, there is road noise, its a truck. Nothing replaced so far, did not have to bring it to the dealer once! If you need or want a truck, take a serious look at a GM.

4x4
By ken

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

All in all it is a good truck. Have trouble with speedometer and tach gauges. Company does not stand behind product and will not fix. Also trouble with front 4x4, having trouble fixing, speakers don't work then they work

Power. Pulling my 25' pontoon boat. comfort. Roomy. Body design.

Use better built products to make entire product better. Stand behind what you sell to the public. That means more than buying a product itself

Good truck
By chris

Bought the truck used with 37000 on it. It has been very reliable up to this point, I now have 60000 miles. I recently purchased a 29ft camping trailer and the truck did fine towing it. Maintaining highway speed was not a problem with the 6000lbs in tow. My only complaint is the brake system. I've tried new rotors and three different types of brake pads, but the brakes don't give you confidence. I wish I had the Hydro-boost system, the vaccum assist brakes are terrible.

Plenty of power, very comfortable ride, and a simple dash layout.

Brakes.