Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 209 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Great Value, Reliable Truck
By Carolinaguy

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck with 30K miles, and have driven it to 80K with not a single problem. I regularly get 20 MPG on mostly highway driving, and it is comfortable on longer trips. I've also owned a Ford F150 and Ford Ranger, and it's unreal how much more room this extended cab has in it. I can't imagine how much the double cab has. This has been a great ownership experience and I love this truck. I see many with 150-200K miles so I look forward to owning this one for a while.

Mileage for full size V8 is impressive, good ride, towing ability and engine feels strong.

Nothing, bang for the buck and that's what I was looking for.

Good ol truck
By garlinghouse

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased truck from family member, excellent condition at 40k miles. Has the infamous clunk in steering and clunk in transmission. But the ride quality, comfort and awesome 4wd more than makes up for annoying clunks. Z71 package really helped when I ran over a log in the road, the Z71 skid plates protected my trans and oil pan. The log only damaged exhaust ypipe,rear shock and both skid plates. Not bad considering the damage could have been worse without the Z71 package skid plates. No domestic truck is perfect but neither are humans! So in this case the good qualities definitely out weigh the bad. Highly recommended.

Bose system is clear and sweet, comfy interior, nice exhaust note, great mpgs for full size 4wd v8 (16.5- 17mpgavg) good family vehicle for trips even better for duck hunting and hauling boat.

cold air induction, flowmaster exhaust, find solution to clunks.

03 Silverado
By scott

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Overall a very nice truck. It does have its share of build negatives, but no more or less than any other make. Strongly recommend replacing brakes/rotors with aftermarket. OEM is inadequate and duly noted by GM. Corrosion should be monitored. (frame and underbody components). Power, ride, comfort, and reliability are all there. I got mine 4yrs old with 48k, for only 15 g's. mint cond. Previous owner(1st owner) paid 35 g's for this new. It also carries a heavy payload with ease.

Interior comfort. Floor shift 4wd. Handling. Looks. 15-20 mpg(5.3L). Power.

Underbody corrosion control. Higher quality OEM brakes/rotors.

Big Chevy works
By Mt,Engineer

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

In 2 wheel drive I get up to 18MPG Highway. Overall MPG is about 15. Have the 5.3 V8,4WD Extended Cab with Long Bed and at 65000 miles is now due for a steering gear ($224 for the part,I will install) but I guess that is acceptable because my wife totaled the front end (twice) the dealer repaired the truck with Genuine GM parts and you can't tell it was ever wrecked. The full size Toyota truck she hit got the worst of the deal. Replaced pads and rotors at 55,000 miles about average for OEM Brakes Usede wager aftermarket pads and rotors and will probably get 65000 miles out of these based on prior experience. No rust, but I installed a Rhino spray in bed liner when new. We work this truck hard.

Comfy ride, good mileage for its size. LS1 engine which is the best V8 worldwide

Go back to drum brakes on the rear. Disc on the rear don't stop a vehicle this size any faster

2003 Silverado 4wd xcab
By scott1450

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I like the truck. Bought it used 1 owner, low miles. Hasn't let me down, but has required some parts and upgrading, all of which I do myself to avoid being jacked up by the dealer. Was quite shocked at the quality of oem parts compared to years past. In one year, she needed aftermarket rotors and brakes, as the oem parts are trash. A power steering pump. Rusted lines at the pump. U joints were dried out, rusted and fused together. Underbody rust is atrocious. Front shocks gone at 55k. No engine or trans problems. Some areas are overdone and others are thrown together. Overall, I got what I paid for in todays market.

Comfort, drivability, handling, load capacity, and style.

Steel drivehaft, undercarriage integrity, less tech service bulletins