Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 209 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

2003 Z71 2DR
By llogan

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Have had this 2003 Z71 2-dr since new. It currently has 134,000 miles. No complaints about reliability with just basic maintenance. Original tires only lasted about 40,000 miles. Replacements have lasted about 80,000 so far. Only parts that have broken on me are two rear U-joints,water pump seal seeps, and the battery died after 7 years. Clunking noise from steering column is a little annoying, but apparently common for this model. Under-body rust is a problem even though I regularly wash the underside of the truck. 4x4 system has been rock solid in snow, ice, mud, you name it. Tows/hauls with no problems although trailer brakes highly recommended for heavy loads/high speeds.

4x4 system, 5.3 LS style V-8, reliability, cost of ownership relatively low for a full size pickup.

Put on better tires, electronics become unreliable after several years (gauges, radio, CD player, turn signals), and under-body should have been coated/treated better from the factory. This, after all, is a pickup and just might be used more places than city streets(sand, rock, etc take a toll).

Good truck
By ART

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I now have 185,000 miles on it I pull a small trailer for work and have no problems. Yes there are parts that need to be replaced like starters, plugs, wires, tires and brakes. great truck.

all

to open back doors it a tight fit if your in a parking lot with cars parked next to you.

Love my truck!
By Michael

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Got a great deal on this 2003 LT 1500 Silverado, Took it on its first day trip and all I can say is I love my truck. I averaged 19 mpg on the highway, with the A/C running the whole time. This truck has the smoothest ride I have ever experienced in a full size truck, and its a Z71 4x4. I looked at a lot of trucks before I made the decision to by this beauty, and all I can say is that I feel I made the best choice. If I had to make another choice Dodge was a close 2nd and Ford trucks didn't even come close especially when it comes to fit, finish, comfort and ride quality. So if your thinking of buying a used Chevy 1500, look for an LT and you won't be sorry.

Leather interior, memory seats, Cold a/c, over all visibility, extremely plush seats and ride

NONE

I drive it like I stole it
By Ed

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I'm a contractor in Northern Vermont and this is my work truck. Cost 21k new w/ auto 4wd and air. 185,000 miles of merciless beating and still running hard. Work cap full of tools and ladders weigh enough to need helper springs just to get it to ride normal, and I keep this kind of weight in it 24/7. I regularly tow my dual axle dump trailer full of construction debris, and the 4.8 liter does fine. The thing eats brakes, but Chevy does make a 3/4 ton. The paint is peeling a little where there are dents or scrapes, but no real rust-the galvanize is holding up well. The steering clunk was fixed under warranty and I've spent about $3k on repairs and maintenance

Mileage, reliability, personality

Better brakes and less rusting of the undercarriage. How bout that same galvanize that's on the sheet metal on the frame and drivetrain parts?

Ol' Reliable
By Bud Utecht

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

As a contractor, we work this truck hard, tow with it, haul with it, and it has never let us down. Comfortable, good ride, nice features. As with all GM trucks of this era the speedometer leaves a lot to be desired. We do have 170,000 miles on this truck. Still rock solid.

Comfortable ride, reliable truck, best truck we've ever owned, I would buy another in a heartbeat, does everything we need it to and more.

Speedometer cable (big pain), had to replace both automatic window motors (not complaining too much due to the high mileage).