Used 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 104 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Good Truck
By BWHITE

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck used with 15,000 miles on it, I now have 45,000 on it 2 years later. I have had no problems with the truck mechanicaly. I tow a ski boat reguarly and fuel economy is only slightly effected. Only problems I have include, the leather seats cracking prematurly, and the dash has a few spots that are chipping. I get better than avertised with fuel economy, i get about 17 mpg city and 20 hwy with the 5.3L V-8. However, I do drive with a light foot and I have a bed cover on the truck. My father has a 2005 4wd Ford F-150 with an idetical bed cover and he gets better gas milage that that, however the chevy seems to handle towing better and is more manuverable.

Power, stereo, driving dynamics, look.

Better paint/rubber on dash, better leather (see what Ford uses it is higher quality).

Love it!
By Kip

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I actually bought this truck used but was the first owner. The dealership used it for parts deliveries so it already had 56000 miles on it in 2002. I test drove several other used trucks with a lot less mileage but they felt ragged out. Before I got off the lot I knew I was going to buy this one. It was very smooth, quiet, did not have one rattle and felt as if it had 0 miles on it. This is the longest I have ever owned a vehicle because I usally get the the "itch" after 1.5 years. Not with this one. It has nearly 130000 miles on it and after some new tires and shocks, it feels brand new again. Still no rattles. Still gets 18-22 mpg on the highway.

Comfortable cabin. I prefer its looks over the current design.

Bad job with the tweeters in the doors. They are dangling again after having them put back in place while under warranty.

Like My Chevy
By Ken

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Truck has run well since purchase. Only problem was weak window motors that were replaced after two years. Basic maintenance and it runs just fine. Piston slap is annoying in extremely cold temperatures until it warms up, but that normally goes away after 30 seconds.

Love the interior space. Love the ability to haul anything that I need.

Console has hard plastic surface which allows items to slide too easily. Improve the design of overhead pocket. Cell phones become missiles under quick acceleration.

Best Truck I've Ever Driven!
By RegRanger

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Been driving pickups since the mid-70's-this is the best truck I've ever owned! This is a 2002 that I just bought 7/05 with 56K on it. Rides nice and is very quiet. Lots of conveniences. Getting around 17 mph highway with the 5.3 liter. Rear seats have reasonable amount of leg room and comfort too.

Lots of plug ins, nice console, cd AND cassette player! Heated seats with memory control. Tinted glass. Thermometer in mirror is nice-we get snow, sleet and black ice here in Maine!

Can reach one of the grease fittings on the front linkage very easily-could replace with an angled fitting. Windshield noise at highspeed like bugs hitting the glass?? You may or may not like the leather seats-I find them comfortable but they don't suit my wife quite as well.

Good work truck
By john napierala

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab 2WD LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

This is a good work truck with fuel economy as stated on the dealer invoice. The 4800 engine has very good acceleration for a truck. The transmission shifts smooth and the transmission tow / haul selection mode is a good feature. The interior has cab noise that seems a little loud. Ride and handling is good loaded or unloaded. First complaint is the cab mounting bolts to the frame were loose and the dealer had to re-torque them. Second complaint is the anti lock brakes activate at speeds below five mph and the brakes then do not work at all. There is now a recall for this problem as stated by the NHTSA.

V-8 engine, automatic transmission with tow / haul mode.

Brakes are four wheel disc and do not stop as well as would be expected. Bench seatfold down center section would be a nice feature.