Used 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Chevy Trucks, the Best
By BJK

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab LS 2WD LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I used to be a used car salesman, and the V-8 Chevy trucks were always the hardest to trade for, and most popular to sell. The Chevy truck has been the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. I just looked at the brake pads, and they are only half worn. The only maintenance I have done is tires, and batttery change, and oil changes.

Power, gas mileage. Cold, cold air. No rattles. Fit and finish of the solid frame body.

More interior room for the single cab.

Best Vehicle I've ever owned
By dave8697

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck has been perfect in every way. Unfortunately my commute suddenly got 34 miles longer each way 3 years after getting it. I haven't yet used it enough to have my first problem. I think I have only waxed it once. I expect it to last me 15 more years or 200k miles. I like the new ones styling better but they are always cutting corners as I noticed the chrome is reduced on the front bumpers and the mirrors.

On the fly 2WD to 4WD switching, auto trac, comfort inside, The sound of a 285 HP V8 at 4000 RPM. 17 mpg combined, 19 on a trip, regardless of how loaded up.

Put a 3.42 rear axle option in the 4.8 liter truck for those that want 23-24 mpg and could give up some towing capability in return. Dress up the welds in the door jambs better.

Miss the old '89.
By larry j

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We owned an 89 Chevy pickup and loved it, even at 110k miles, it still ran great. A very tight machine. We made the mistake in assuming Chevy would continue the tradition when we bought the '01. Engine makes a knocking sound from day one that the dealership mechanic "couldn't hear". Makes the sound to this day. Performance is sluggish and you'd figure if you have slow performance, at least the gas mileage would be good. Wrong. 12- 15mpg. I guess we got spoiled with the '89 p/u truck; wish we still had it.

Comfortable ride from the longer wheelbase, but makes tight turns difficult. Tow/haul mode is nice since we trailer a camper occasionally. Nice looking exterior; it isn't my favorite running vehicle, but is still a nice truck to look at. Aftermarket exhaust sounds great.

Hopefully, Chevy would dump the 5.3 liter engine and go back to what they do best.. 350c.i./5.7 liter engine. Don't know why they changed engines like that. EPA requirements?

Still a Champ
By DuckHunter

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB w/out OnStar (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck from a family member. It was better than new then, and is pretty close now. I'm amazed at the power and handling that this truck has when compared to its size. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good used truck.

Seats are extremely comfortable. Good power, good handling. Definitely the appearance. Heated power memory seats..

Obviously fuel economy, most of the issues I have with it were addressed in 2003, even though my truck is better looking than the '03-'06 models.

Good Truck
By batman563031

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This is the most powerful truck I've ever owned! Chassis is also the stiffest as well. Much better than my '03 F150 which I got rid of after 7 months for the '01 Chev. I've had problems with the A/C, got those fixed, also the annoying cold start knock, quiets down after warming up (recommend full-synthetic oil to quiet down). Tie rods and steering system needed fixing at 70,000 miles (very expensive without warranty).

Gobbs of power! Excellent fuel economy (approx. 18 mpg) Great handling and ride!

Brakes, cold start knock, better components for steering and front end! Idles to low around 400 rpms increase to 650 for smoothe idle.