Used 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Simply Outstanding - 2001 Z71 Stepside
By john77084

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 in 2006 because I really wanted a stepside.
I found this Z71 4X4 and pulled the trigger.
It had 89,000 on the odometer.
Now it has 140,000.
I've driven it hard and it keeps coming back for more.
One of the first things I added to it was a Flowmaster muffler with chrome tips.
I get a thrill every time I fire it up.

It has almost unstoppable offroad ability. I say almost because I buried it good on a muddy/sandy piece of beach. The interior has held up well considering the abuse. The console is finally beginning to creak a little because I lean on it all the time. Finally, this truck is very easy to work on at home. I have marginal mechanical skills and have replaced a power window motor, AC belt, and coolant sensor. Oh, almost forgot about the looks! I'm complimented on it all the time. It's just a tough looking ride.

The ride is definitely rough. This is a regular cab, short stepside bed. I've done a hefty upgrade to the stereo system. Of course this truck is 10 years old and the new models are probably all different, but Chevy should stick with durable interior materials, user-friendly design for easy repair, and focus on proven, reliable build quality like mine.

Great Truck
By Josh

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck in 2006 with 59,000 miles on it and now it has 108,000 and it runs like it did when I bought it. I now have flowmaster exhaust on it and that gave me noticeably better gas mileage. The best mileage I have gotten is 22 doing 70. I get about 13 to 15 in town. Does great on the highway and handles like car. It has plenty of power! It has always started in the cold, even 20 below zero in Montana where I live. Does well in every road condition you drive on. Very smooth suspension as well.

comfortable seats, folding rear seat, good ac and heater. interior is stylish as well. tow haul mode works great for pulling trailers or heavy loads and it sounds great too.

the only thing i would change would be a little more clearance and they trailer light plug needs to be installed better, but other than that i wouldn't change a thing. great mileage and alot of power. i will continue buying Chevy trucks!

2003 Chevy Silverado Timebomb
By Former Chevyman

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Camshaft and lifter failure at 71K! Pitted cam lobe evident once exposed along with a worn valve lifter. Was diligently maintained including oil changes, routine servicing, etc. Independent repair shop says defective parts were installed at manufacture. Took 70K miles to manifest itself hence the time bomb. GM says off warranty so no help or assistance possible with $4500 repair costs. Also a front shimmy since it was new has been troublesome and apparently is not fixable per Chevy, Les Schwab Tires, and independent repair shop. CD player failed at 45K miles, never bothered to repair. Third new Chevy truck I have owned and it's definitely the last.

Car-like ride and handling on the highway, but handled off-road nicely as well at least on logging roads. Very comfortable seats and leg room. Good console storage design.

Get a solution to the front end shimmy. Better major engine failure warranty or non-warranty solutions from GM. Customer service out of warranty is abysmal.

Awesome truck!
By 2001ChevyZ71

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT 2WD SB w/OnStar (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

First off, it is a 2001 silverado 1500 LT extended cab 4 door Z71 with Onstar.We bought this truck used at 176K miles and have since put it 10,000 miles on it. It is real comfortable and fun to drive and it has plenty of power. I put some 33 inch maxxis bigohrn tires on it and it went to 10-12 mpg which really sucks down the gas. However, the 4wd system is great for offroading. Only had some minor stuff to replace like the universal and the brakes. The truck can be easily modded to make it look and perform better, which is a plus. I plan on keeping this truck for as long as possible, and i am confident that it will keep performing

Power, push button 4wd, reliability, comfort, appearance

Better gas mileage, 4.10 gears, maybe a better looking interior (but it is a truck, so i cant really complain), bigger gas tank

Great truck
By GMman64

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased this plain jane w/t truck in 2006 with over 100,000 now have 185,000 and still runs strong. only minor issues V6 is underpowered at times but gets the job done if you do light to none hauling and towing. overall pretty good truck.

Solid Frame, engine

find a way to get more power out of the 4.3 V6 and increase MOG, go back to the pre-07 body style