Used 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 138 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Chevy Truck-Built to last!
By Keith

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased my truck used as I needed alternate transportation for days when my Harley-Davidson may be a less than intelligent choice. I live in S. Florida and we get plenty of rain, and as they say, when it rains it pours. I have owned my truck for over a year and tire replacement and routine maintenance is all that has been required. I did choose to upgrade the stereo system as I love my tunes. Like my bike, as far as customizing goes all it takes is a vision that fits you and your wallet. I have found that I put more miles on the truck than the bike and I love to ride, but it is a very comfortable in all situations. I could have bought a cheaper truck but I feel you get what you pay for!

Regular cab is large with a bench seat that makes for close contact with your mate. Seats three in comfort and the Vortec 4.3 liter V-6 provides plenty of reliable power. The towing package is nice to have and has handled all my needs. I have found more aftermarket parts one could ever wish for.

I installed the tires that I found as best match at tire rack (internet site) and went with the wider option. I must say "I love my STONES". I installed a cat-back exhaust as well as an air hog. I plan to install a cold air intake system next. The Pioneer Sound System is "XM" ready and sounds great!

Some flaws, but a great truck
By Mike

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it used and have 76k miles on it now. There's a slight rattle in the driver's side door occasionally. Sometimes it has a rough shift from 1st to 2nd, but that's rare. My mechanic said to replace the valve body if it became frequent. Otherwise, it's a great truck. More comfortable than any others I've owned (bucket seats), more power than I really need (5.3L V8) and a great ride for a pick-up. I don't plan on having a car payment for a long time.

Tow/haul transmission. Very reliable. Extended cab very roomy, which was the problem I had with the F-150.

GM fixed the valve body problem in 2003. ABS kicks on when it shouldn't if there's no load. Not a big deal, but it should be fixed. I'm not letting air out of my back tires.

Chevorlet's flawed fuel sending unit
By johny onenut

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

At 37000 miles, 1000 over warranty, the fuel gauge malfunctioned on mine, and every one else's I know who bought between 1999-2002. At 70,000 my brakes wore out. At 160,000 my ABS light has came on and will proably remain on. At 110,000 dash lights started to burn out. But overall, she has been a very reliable ride. She's taken me from sea to shining sea many times, and I dread the day I have to turn her out to pasture. The 325 engine has run very, very well and she'll still getting second gear rubber. What a great engine! 165,000 miles and still no oil burning.

Strong power plant

Fuel sending unit reworked

I love MY truck!
By RSH

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 3dr Extended Cab LB

I have had this truck for 5 years and it still drives like a dream. I have had installed new tire, new brakes (once) and replaced the fuel pump! Other thatn that regular oil changes and tune ups, keep "Big Blue" running. I highly recommend this truck to those looking for a new ride. Once you drive a truck, you'll never go back to a car. 113,000 miles and no more car payments later - I know I won't!

Color. BLUE!! Handles like a midsize car. I can park it anywhere. Engine is very quiet.

My only wish is that it had 4 doors instead of three.

First Truck - I'd do it again
By Scotty

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Very, very reliable vehicle. Driven in snow, on beach, through woods, on the farm, and it has never let me down. Did have to have the steering rack replaced ($400) and the driveshaft needs U-joints now. Same anoying piston slap everyone complains about, but the truck is solid and does everything I expect it to.

Very smooth highway ride, especially when hauling.

The weatherstripping on the passenger door keeps coming down. I had to glue it in place myself.