Used 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Like a Rock
By MPD

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought my truck with 66000 on it and put over 30000 on it in the first 14 months. I have backed off a little since then, but still average a good 20-25000 a year-14 months. As to be expected with the age and mileage of the truck, I do seem to break parts some times (mostly plastic crap used in the engine bay to connect hoses). I do a lot of off roading with it also and it holds up realy well. Does a great job towing. The only major replacement I had to do was the AC. That was almost a grand with a new compressor. Oh well, in the south you use AC pretty much year round to combat the high humidity. Only 7 more payments to go and it will be all mine! :-)

Love the look of the step side bed. Get LOTS of use of the Z71 off road pack! Has tremedous torque and power...pulled cemented fense posts with ease after Hurricane Katrina destroyed the rest of the fence.

I don't like the fact that the motor has a BAD knock when cold. Dealer ship calls it "normal" but I know it to be "piston slap" if you want more info on that, do a yahoo search for piston slap...lots of info available online! Also, why make a heavy duty truck and then use plastic in the engine bay

My Steel Horse
By cowboy22

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck has been great, and it runs as strong as they day it was taken off the lot. I will never change my view of Chevy, LIKE A ROCK!!!

Vortec

MDS

Chevy Z71
By Mikhelin Desuderio

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Z71 is very aggressive ride, dont dare to use a Z71 Chevy in the city area with a few pot-holes. Don't let anyone 300lbs sit on tailgate. This tailgate is the only weak spot for all Chevy trucks

Need to improve the soft ride and less aggressive ride. Ford 150 is a good sample a soft-ride.

Loved my truck
By junkyardmama

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

This was the first new vehicle I ever purchased. I loved it. Rides like a car. Haven't had too many problems with it. Front pinion seal on rearend was replaced at 20000 miles. I've gone through 2 sets of rear brake pads and still on the original front ones. Have 55,000 miles on it. ABS light is starting to come on. Worst thing is gas mileage. I only get 11 mpg city.

Push button four wheel drive

Gas mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage

So far...So good!
By bgfromga

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this truck approximately 2 years ago with only 28,000 miles on it. So far, I have not had any major problems except driver's window motor assembly had to be replaced due to faulty cables. I prevented the passengers from doing the same by removing the door panel and tightening the support bolts. As far as the gas pedal sticking, it is a simple fix by removing the breather tube and cleaning the TB flapper with throttle bottle cleaner...works fine for about 6 to 8 months. The driver seat does make a crunching sound when I turn a curve and lean but found that if you adjust the lower leg lumbar it will quit for some time as well.Gas mileage is good for small V-8 at 20 mpg.

Pretty good sound system. Comfortable and roomy in front and back for 3 door truck.

Better paint on dash as mine got a chip and Chevy does not make a touch up paint to repair. Nicer design chrome wheel would be nice touch. Better pop open rear windows to reduce wind noise...or make an external adjustment for them.