Used 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Great truck
By ckench

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought 3 years ago used with 40,000 miles on it. Drove it for almost 5 years and only cost me brakes and rotors until today. New electronic gear shift box, wheel bearings and front differential. Almost $2,000 and 2 years after the extended warranty expired. That's cheap considering I hauled an 8,000 pound camper through the mountains on a regular basis. Traded it for another Chevy but went up to a 2500 DH. Love those Silverados!

Z71 package

This thing has 95k on it?
By Wingnutt

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have had my "new" truck for almost a month now, and can find very little to complain about. Seeing as how I'm a quality manager and my job it to pick nits, this says volumes about the vehicle. The 5.3 has great power for its size (but could use a tad more low end torque), espicially in a vehicle this heavy. The tranny does what it's supposed to do when it's supposed to, and the tow/haul mode makes life much easier on the transmission when hauling my boat. The gearing is right on for this application and provides good torque multiplication in the lower gears while maintaining a reasonable RPM for highway crusing.

Clean, traditional truck styling, a very comfortable interior and a strong drive train.

Can't manually turn off the headlights with automatic head light feature. Over use of cheap, hard plastic in the interior, and the vehicle could use a touch more ground clearance.

Chevy got mine right!
By denny270

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab SB

Purchasing Sivlerado new was a very smart move for me. At the time I'm writing this I have 185,000 miles on the thing. I'm on my third set of rear break pads, I replaced the fronts at 173,000 miles. The only currrent issue is a very small amount of surface rust on the rocker panels (rust is expected in Michigan). I've got the 4.8 liter, it just keeps running and getting around 18MPG(average). I had to replace the drivers window motor at 39,000 miles, the instrument cluster and drive shaft replacement were both warrenty work.

Driveability. This thing just drives nice.

GM should not offer the 4.8 liter V8 with a 3.42 gear in the rear end. The 3.73 should be as low as you can go.

Drives Like New
By Anthony

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought new. Drives great and is very comfortable. Strong engine and with hard tonneau routinely get 20 mpg on 4wd 5.3l V8. Occasionaly use to tow 23 ft Glastron boat with 14 mpg under tow conditions. Totally pleased and will only trade up for diesel pickup with higher towing capability if I purchase a very large 5th wheel camping trailer. Extended cab has very roomy bench seating for 3 passengers. I've carried 3 adults in back seat and all were impressed with comfort in an extended cab truck. My kids routinely ride in extended cab bench seat area with total confort even when traveling 6-8 hrs. The only disadvantage I say this truck has is not having the 4th door to easily access behind driver.

Very clean lines and strong smooth engine. Great MPG for full size V8 4wd. I get 20 mpg and better with hard tonneau!

4th door on extended cab (already done on all newer models.) Auto headlight feature can't be disabled (already done on newer models)

To 100k and beyond!
By bill j

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck used in the last year. Never owned a Chevy before, but used them at work. I used this truck for work and play and it is equally suited for both from hauling concrete to the daily drive to the office. It handles and drives well. Tow/Haul is great and I can't wait to pull my boat with it next summer. No problems with rattles, clunks or vibrations that others have mentioned. Throttle does stick when cold, but this has been a pretty standard nuicence on other GM products I've been familar with. Transmission has rough shift on easy accel. no problems on heavy accel or tow/haul. 4WD has been good in snow/ice. Overall a very good, reliable truck.

Engine, 5.3 V8 has plenty of power and decent gas milage too (22-24 hwy 14-17 city). Ice cold A/C, lots of interior room.

Better heating. Truck takes quite a while to heat up in the winter. Improved ruggedness in transmission.