Used 2003 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews - 104 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Execlent ZR2
By deibadboys815

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used, I have had it for a year. Put normal wear and tear on it and have yet to have a problem.

I like the overall stance of the truck.

More comfortable seats, and design it so that rocks dont get thrown up into window trim.

Gets it done
By John

2003 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Highly versatile truck does everything well. Just reached 50,000 miles with only a few cosmetic problems. Motor does a good job. Peppy, but no speed demon. Driver/front passenger in comfortable well laid out interior. Back seat room for children/ short trips only. 4.3L V-6 good torque/hp but geared for low-speed power & economy. Wide turning radius can be a problem in tight areas. Doesn't like quick turns either. Having bought the vehicle in one of it's later years of production. I expected to have less fit & finish problems already worked out. Slightly disappointed with that. Still this highly versatile vehicle just "Gets'er done.

ZR-5 Package.

Falling apart too soon
By JohnO

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The air compressor went out at 39,000 miles, the rear wheel bearings and the U joints at 41,000. I am lucky I bought the extended warranty. This is my last S10!

V6 has power.

Better quality control on the body and door fit, give a better warranty from GM to cover all the defects.

Toyota here I come
By Caps

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

The S10 in general is lacking in all dept. The engine design for 98-2003 is based on a design from 1986!! If you want a track record, look no further, the engine itself is bullet proof, as it should be, near 20 yrs of constant improvements and they should get it right. However your also getting technology from 1986. GM's vehicles have been inferior for a long time, my loyalty is going to be looking elsewhere. I have 45k on mine and it has been in and out of the shop 6 times, thats about 5 times too many for me. I just wish GM would ante up and bring something comparable to the table in this race of "best vehicles" --- Could be worse I guess, I mean i could be driving a 5-cylinder Colorado

Looks, thats about it. Easy to work on the engine though I would like something more reliable I didnt have to work on.

Design something reliable, why cant you make it like my brothers Tacoma? Build quality. care about your business and customer base, then give them a vehicle that is worthwhile to buy. Sorry but a brand new vehicle should not be in the shop 6 times over 45k.

4 Wheel Drive Nightmare
By Frustrated

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

We have had this truck 2-1/2 years. The 4 wheel drive module has failed 3 times this year (2005). The first time (January,2005) the replacement was on backorder for several weeks. It was replaced again in September and it just failed during a snowstorm (December 9). We bought the truck to get to work in the winter, but the 4 wheel drive never is available when we need it.

It is a great looking truck.

A 4 wheel drive module that works all the time. We had hoped to avoid getting stuck in the snow, but now with this truck.