Used 2003 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet S-10

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

A TOUGH LITTLE WORKHORSE
By jerrymax

2003 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Okay, I don't actually "own" my S-10 but as a state highway engineer it was assigned to me brand new in January 2003. I am the only one who drives it and it now has 116,000 miles. On the job I drive up onto highway medians, over curbs, into wooded areas, etc. It takes a beating and keeps on going. Been very reliable. Worse thing was a broken throttle cable at 60,000 miles. Routine maintenance only by our state mechanics. Has pretty good acceleration but terrible traction on snow and ice. I've taken it on several official business trips to upstate New York and it performed very well. Always starts, always gets me where I'm going. Been a good little workhorse and I'll miss it when it's gone.

I've got the Plain Jane base model---no push button windows, no CD player---so it's not loaded with features but the radio, heater and air conditioner work and it's a fairly smooth ride. Reliability is what I like best in any car and this vehicle has been very reliable.

They've canceled the S-10 and replaced it with the Colorado, so suggested improvements don't mean much. I hope the new model has more legroom. I'm just 5'9" but would like to move the seat back further than it goes. Anyone over six feet tall will be in for a cramped ride.

2003 S-10 still going strong
By Chevy Proud

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in'03 the only trouble has been a battery replacement and a few exterior lamps. Still has original tires with 48000 miles. Good preventive maintenance is the key. The V6 4.3l engine is a bit rough on the wallet with gas prices as they are, but, all in all this truck can get out of its' own way when it has to.

Victory Red has been THE color for this region. Southeast N. Carolina.

Dear uncle GM, Please cancel the Colorado and bring back the S-10

ok truck
By mattc

2003 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Its a Nice little truck but for me its not very comfortable (6,3) the extended cab woulda been better also the 2.2 is not a good on gas as I was hoping. I do like it because it gets me where I need to go and any extra work done. I use it every once in awhile to haul and have had no problems with that

good price for buy

oil filter is a pain to change even with smaller hands. too many plastics on the engine so there is no room, and no room to move seats for comfort

ZR2 Wish They Still Made Them
By twoeggsup

2003 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS ZR2 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I've always loved the stance of a ZR2. This truck has been extremely reliable with very few exceptions. The new Colorado is ugly so I was glad I was able to find the ZR2 and in my favorite color, arrest-me red. The wide stance of the vehicle makes it actually corner exceptionally well. Compared to my 1989 S10 Ext Cab 4WD the handling is like night and day. The 3.73 rear does seem to hurt mileage. With the taller 31" tires acceleration would probably suffer with a 3.42. Weak points, the taller springs give it very good ground clearance but it can't carry the load of my '89. The tank sender is a problem as is the plastic door handle for the 3rd door and the fogs are too high to be of any use.

Stance, ground clearance is fabulous, this truck gets off-road every single day. 30 seconds to change a headlight bulb (if you're slow). The 4.3 has good torque but the MPI doesn't have the horsepower of the older 195HP CPI Vortec used from '92-'95.

Plastic front valance can break hitting snow that's firm and too tall. Older style aluminum skid plates would be better than the carbon fiber ones. Remote filter on the fender was much better than the one behind the rad. Needs a real trans cooler, Better posi, works only when you wish it wouldn't.

'03 Crew Cab Problems
By Gary

2003 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought truck basically for light duty and travel to/from work. Has 77000 easy miles on it. Thus far, have gone thru 2 complete sets of tires, blown headgaskets twice, thermostat twice, water pump once, brakes twice. GM installed DEX-COOL may be eating engine gaskets; dealer is "unaware" of any DEX-COOL problems. I now have thick dark sludge in radiator overflow tank and in top of radiator. GM service mgr suggests I try to manually draw off sludge, clean out tank, and see if that helps, if not a thorough flush will have to be done. Fun to drive factor quickly failing.

Lumbar support on drivers seat. Seat height gives good all-round driving visibility. 4WD is helpful on slick roads.

Engineer who designed spare tire placement should be beaten! Turning radius is very wide. Braking distance needs improved, lack of good mileage is very NOTICEABLE. Door/frame misfit allows noticeable highway wind noise.