Used 2002 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews - 86 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet S-10

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Love My S10!!
By Christina

2002 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my S10 used with about 94K. I have had it for two years and drove it to work 5 days a week. No major repairs, just standard things like brakes and front ball joints. I am really satisfied with it and have gotten many compliments. The 4.3L V6 is very powerful and the 4x4 is great in the snow.

the smaller size, 3rd door, 4x4, heater works great in the winter

better gas mileage would be nice

Quantity not Quality
By Caguilar

2002 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle four years after its make, I started having problems with it by the end of 2007 and haven't gotten it to pass emissions since 2008. THe repairs have cost me a little over 3,300 when the engine blew in the end of 2009 and the electrical problems have cost me near a grand, I have put two fuel pumps into it and two sets f new tires. The truck is like the devil on wheels. I might buy GM again but it defiantly will not be an S-10! Plus it is so heavy, buying gas for such a small stocky truck drains the bank account, I will go for a more dependable, loading vehicle next time.

4-door crew cab holds my family, Color and style, loads good, 4x4, AC,

Electrical issues constantly, suspension, dependability, less weight in the truck; more pulling a loading power, more foot room, no storage

Good Truck
By Riderfun87

2002 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in spring 06 w/70k miles. It was been very good to me even though i have been hard on it. The only issue i had was the CAT and O2 censors went out and i had to get them replaced. I'm thinking that was due to taking it off roading a few to many times. The truck averages about 18 MPG driving around town and has gotten as high as 21 MPG doing 70 on long trips.

Push button 4x4 is great, the 4.3 is strong enough to haul the fourwheelers and get most jobs done.

Better fuel economy. Bigger cab.

okay car
By americanrevolution

2002 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

The build quality isn't something stellar. The interior plastic is like the type used for trashcans, and there's gaps between the seems, and does not line up. If you bend down and look under where the pedals are, the wires are all sticking out and such. Not having the recirculation option is truly a smack in the buyer's face. Don't get me started how awful it was driving in traffic during our fire season at California. The parking brake is also shoddy, doesn't work unless you forcefully push it all the way down. Heavy doors with weak door springs, not nice, almost had my hand cut off once b/c of it. Fuel pump went out at 36k, leaky suspension, what happened Chevy? You have lost me as a buyer

the MT tranny. Love hitting the redline and shifting, although the engine starts smelling weird after.

Better mpg for an I4, build quality

best small truck i feel
By sparta729

2002 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely love this truck, I wanted to get one for a long time. Zr2 package is my favorite, because it lets the truck come already as a fun looking small sized offroad pick-up. The s10 also is still a Nice truck which ever version, u have, like 4x4,2wd, stripped, loaded, anyway its still comes as a Nice looking truck, unlike the Tacoma or Dakota were if those trucks don't come in the better models they look stripped, and cheap, the Tacoma more so.

the zr2 package, with its 4" lift more aggressive tires, and black fender flares, let this truck come from the factory already as a sweet 4x4. attractive driver friendly dashboard, and very comfy bucket seats. suicide 3rd door that allows for easy access to the extended part of the cab

More than just one rear seat, but all small trucks have small back seats so cant really fix, its more of a small truck, problem. Stronger 3rd door handle, and I think black interior should be standard on all.