Used 2001 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet S-10

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

No complaints here
By MB

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Personally, I have not had any issues with the truck other than the original battery leaking out acid from the positive terminal after 6 years of use. I never drive off road, and do not push it into 4WD situations, since I know this little 2WD would get stuck. I still have two of the 4 original tires with some tread left. I have taken it easy on the transmission and only rarely haul something heavy in the bed. Maybe I'm one of the few lucky ones, but by not abusing this truck and keeping it maintained it has given me no problems and has been amazingly reliable.

Gas mileage. Comfy bench seats. Quiet ride. Reliable, if you don't need it to be a large 4WD truck.

None really. It has no power at all, but honestly, it has probably kept me out of speeding tickets and accidents since it has forced me to not be one of those people who zip in and out of traffic because their car is peppy. Would be nice if there was some room behing the seat.

Wish they built more
By RIC

2001 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck about 8 months ago and I have hauled rocks, dirt, gravel, all of my stuff from a move, 2 boats, and all the while in the worst snow, ice, and whatever God could throw at you, and it performed like a beauty with 22 mpg at 132,000 miles. Paid $7k for the truck and I have used the 4x4 push button more times than you could shake a stick at. it has a litte cubby behind the rear seat for whatever tools you may need, a sliding rear window, can tow 5200lbs out of an awesome 4.3 6cyl.compared to the Dakota's 3400lbs max for their v6 (wimpy). Do not buy if you need a finesse city truck. I have had no issues yet with the truck. But at 132K what can I say? The thing is "like a rock".

This truck is a meaty truck. I thought that I would have more issues with such a small bed, but I have yet to encounter a time when I needed more bed space. Love push button, all power options, oversized bucket seats, towing power, and pulling power.

I would recomend using synthetic oil after 100k. Helps curb burnt oil, particularly if one wants to tow regularly. Keep tires inflated, will help mileage. K&N air filter is also great for towing

Great Truck Served Its Purpose
By MJB

2001 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Reading some of the negative reviews posted here motivated me to write this review. First off, this is a great small truck for the money. I purchased mine used with 90 some thousand miles and it is still running strong. I get almost 22 MPG strictly highway and average about 18 MPG combined. If your truck has no power and poor fuel mileage, duh, take it into a garage and have it looked at. Something is obviously wrong. Then there's the clowns who expect to have a Cadillac quality truck and pay a Chevy price. And don't get me started on the dolts who probably bought theirs used and did not take time or spend a little money to make sure the truck was previously maintained.

Pushbutton 4X4, power to MPG ratio, 4 wheel disc ABS, great handling in all weather conditions, four full size doors.

Spray-on bedliners should be a factory standard on all pickup trucks. Using more readily available 75R tires instead of the 70R tires.

Not at all impressed
By Erik

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The truck has been decent with the usual, ALL 5 u-joints needing replacing at $200 a pop, as well as the hanger bearing, front driver wheel bearing, and most recently the entire rear differential. This one proved too much for me to hang on to this vehicle. Every year I needed to replace the Cap and Rotor, not to mention the squeaks and creaks from the shoddy craftman ship of the interior plastic. Will not buy again.

The seats were the most comfortable seats I've ever been in, working at a car rental company, I've tried them all.

The drive line from the transmission back needs to be more dependable.

S10 4 X 4 EXT CAB
By Ray

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

As with other owners of this year S10, I've replaced all the universals, three ball joints, driver side front wheel bearing,all during the eighty thousand mile timeperiod. My ABS brake system failed and will cost over five hundred dollars in parts to fix. I just avoided two major slow speed accidents when the ABS refused to allow me to stop. And, there's been lots of little things that I didn't expect to have to replace and/or repair on a truck this new. Plastic door latches, fuel sender unit and pump, complete replacment of all rear brake parts, etc. My service engine light continues to come on, even though it has been serviced several times. Quality is not job one at GM anymore

The looks and ride of the S10 are all plus features. I like the ride, looks, and fit and finish of the truck. It has very attractive lines.

Quality! I've been a GM owner all my life, I'm 54, and I will not buy another until they prove they want to build machines with true quality!