Used 2001 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Good luck?
By Natrona

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I had wanted an S-10 6 years prior to finally buying one. I couldn't drive stick at the time, but bought the 5 speed anyway & now can't imagine driving automatic! I've said this 1000 times, I love my truck. I get about 22 mpg on hghwy/ 20 city so it's not bad but could be much better. Biggest complaint is I've had to replace the 3rd door handle four times. Otherwise, it's very comfortable, handles well & has more peep to it than most 4 cylniders. I like the extra room the extended cab offers & the jumper seat has proved useful. The bed is short, especially with the box but still enough room to move my friends! Never had a break down or any major problems. 6 years later, I still love my truck

Fun to drive, in door cup holders, jumper seat, comfortable seats, sliding window in back, third door

Did I mention I had to replace the 3rd door handle four times? Consider making it stronger, this is very frustrating to say the least.

A Truck Built With Problems
By Bill

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this truck for a little over six years now and I have been very disappointed with the quality of construction on this vehicle. There have been constant brake issues, the ABS system went out prematurely, the third door latch broke, the front bearings wore ouot, the idler arm went bad- all in under seventy thousand miles. Not what I would call a well built vehicle and it makes me sure that I will never buy a GM product again.

Exterior design, interior seats are comfortable.

Better quality construction. Work on the brakes to make them last longer, use better parts on the door latches, put a little more effort into the overall mechanical features of the truck.

Nice Expensive Truck
By Nik

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is a nice truck. I like the bed size. I seem to have a three door, extended cab, long bed truck with a 4.3L 6 cylinder engine. I am told that this was never manufactured. The gas milage is not great. I average about 20 miles highway, but only about 17 city. In the winter I put sand bags over the wheels (rear wheel drive) and that hurts the milage even more. Have had a lot of repairs. Two air pumps, air pump check valves (only once though), starter (I think it's going again), front shocks, alternator, handle to third door three times (broken right now), and battery. I've had to truck 2 1/2 years, bought it 12/2005 with 6,000 miles, it has 36,000 on it now. It's had a full brake job too.

Cup holders (very nice), automatic head lights, pick up of the 6 cylinder engine, the third door (when it's working)

Gas mileage. Reliability. Make the handle on the third door metal so it stops breaking.

Past Chevy Lover But No More
By Terry

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

First let me state of letting everyone know my heart and soul is Chevrolet but I will never buy any more Chevys. I have had a lot probles with the truck brakes, rear end, and now the one that takes the cake is the drive line a double cardan joint that no drive line shop will give you any kind of repair warranty it and the reason there giving is it's an engineering problem. But in short I was going to buy a Camaro when it came out but I keep my money in my pocket

The way it holds the road

Make cars right. I was happy with all the past Chevrolet car I have. GM don't cut corners.

2001 chevy s-10 2.2 j. motor
By jessie fritz

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The ride quality is not very good ,needs more power for such a heavy truck with an automatic 4 banger (120hp isn't enough).even with a 4 cyl. it still gets horrible gas mileage. (15mpg)I like the styling though, wish i had a 4.3 with the zq8 suspension. the ball joints go bad and my door hinge pins need replaced and at 96k miles it already has seal leaks all over the engine. I like the style of truck. A good truck for the money i guess.

xtreme or 4.3 option w/5spd. and zQ8. styling is nice too. also like the third door

better gas mileage and more power