Used 2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Not at all impressed
By Erik

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The truck has been decent with the usual, ALL 5 u-joints needing replacing at $200 a pop, as well as the hanger bearing, front driver wheel bearing, and most recently the entire rear differential. This one proved too much for me to hang on to this vehicle. Every year I needed to replace the Cap and Rotor, not to mention the squeaks and creaks from the shoddy craftman ship of the interior plastic. Will not buy again.

The seats were the most comfortable seats I've ever been in, working at a car rental company, I've tried them all.

The drive line from the transmission back needs to be more dependable.

S10 4 X 4 EXT CAB
By Ray

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

As with other owners of this year S10, I've replaced all the universals, three ball joints, driver side front wheel bearing,all during the eighty thousand mile timeperiod. My ABS brake system failed and will cost over five hundred dollars in parts to fix. I just avoided two major slow speed accidents when the ABS refused to allow me to stop. And, there's been lots of little things that I didn't expect to have to replace and/or repair on a truck this new. Plastic door latches, fuel sender unit and pump, complete replacment of all rear brake parts, etc. My service engine light continues to come on, even though it has been serviced several times. Quality is not job one at GM anymore

The looks and ride of the S10 are all plus features. I like the ride, looks, and fit and finish of the truck. It has very attractive lines.

Quality! I've been a GM owner all my life, I'm 54, and I will not buy another until they prove they want to build machines with true quality!

Could Be Better
By PA guy

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Fast, enjoyable vehicle. Well maintained vehicle when I purchased with 95,000 miles. No rust. Great work truck!

Push button 4x4 and Ext. Cab.

Must have better fuel mileage. Only gets 14 MPG average. Wheel bearings keep going bad.

ZR2 in Colorado
By xeriminox

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have not experienced any problems with my 2001 ZR2 in its 57K miles. I love the way it looks and how well it handles in the snow. It is agile enough for city driving yet well prepared for off-road activities. The push button four-wheel drive is a great feature. Originally, I had my mind set on the Tacoma but was not pleased with the antiquated interior and bouncy ride. After considering the Tacoma, Frontier and Dakota I was most impressed with the comfort and convenience of the Chevy. This is my first domestic vehicle but certainly will not be the last!

Push button four-wheel drive and 3rd door.

Slightly less gas mileage than anticipated.

Gas Hog
By Stephen Wilson

2001 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

The truck sounds great when it starts up. It has a hard time reaching a good speed without laboring. last time I checked it was getting around 12mpg on highway. When I go up a hill it will slow down quickly and lag behind. The gas pedal is too close to the brake pedal and can be dangerous if not carefull. That was an engineering blunder. The truck looks great, but what good it it to me that way. I wish I had my Toyota Tundra back.

I like the combination cassette player and CD player and the handle on the dash board.

Needs more space between the gas pedal and brake pedal and the driver seat needs a handle to make it go uo cause the seat is very cheap and after a year it sinks and makes it hard to see over the hood. 4.3 v-6 is not a good engine, needs to use a Toyota engine or a Ford Ranger engine.