Used 2001 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet S-10

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

A great all-arround mini truck
By john

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my truck with 3 miles on it and now I have over 111,000mi. I have only had 2 issues. 3rd door handle broke and I believe this is attributed to lack of maintenance which asks for lubrication of the body every so often. And my heater core which I caused by running a radiator flush in my vehicle too long. Otherwise this truck has been like a rock. Filters and fluids are the only things I have changed on my truck. The interior is hardly showing its age. I love my truck. Just enough room in the bed for a homeowner to complete any weekend project. The key to any vehicle is maintenance. If people followed their vehicles maintenance schedule these problems would be cut in half.

Power, comfort, reliability without question, sporty at least for a truck, just the right size for the do it yourself homeowner, a really good looking vehicle not flashy or exotic, just solid good truck styling

3rd door handle, the owners manuals need to be improved, the bindings give out to early.

Great truck
By brandon

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Simply put you can't beat an S-10. They will take anything you can throw at them. Everything I have asked this truck to do it has. During week drove it back and forth to college and then to work all week and on weekend I do everything from service coal truck I haul big tireds, usally more that one 50 gallon drum and drove back on strip jobs where most people would never dream of taking a 2-drive. Not saying I didn't get stuck sometimes, and at same as time would take home from doing that wash it up and take out to bar. Even in winter went most people park their 2 wheeldrive I didn't. I would just throw 200 250 pounds in the back. Old 4.3 would just idle its way around. Sometime I had spend my way out

The fact it never let me down no matter what I would throw at it

Nothing

S10...I wish they still made them
By numyar

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have very few problems with this truck. I have the 4.3L which has plenty of power. Like every GM product I've owned, you can't beat the powertrain! I get about 22 to 24 on the highway, can't complain about that. (I'm no light foot). I have the sport pack, fatty tires, sport suspension, custom wheels, it still turns heads! The only complaints I have are: 3rd door handle-I've broken 3,not replacing it again! 3rd door/driver door rattle bad together...really bad! The CD player does whatever it wants to. It might play the disk or spit it out for no reason or just keep trying to read it and then spit it out. I still love the truck and would buy another...keep the Colorado!

I love the handling with the sport pack, the overall body style, power of the 4.3L. I just really like this truck!

The 3rd door handle!

Can't get rid of it.
By Mi Yow

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Mine is a 2 door black 4.3L V6 step side bed with the ZQ8 five-star wheels and it sits a little low. Every time I decide it's about time to sell it, I get it washed and someone compliments how nice it looks and they're right. The ride is so bumpy and hard that it is embarrassing for passengers, there appears to be interior room until you put someone in there, the brakes take a little while to get the million pound thing to stop, and it's not easy to keep the rear end still when trying to start off too fast, but all of those things are good too if you think about it. I just can't seem to make myself buy another truck. Spending +$25K to get something new isn't worth more than my 18MPG.

Torque, beautiful, wheels, towing, A/C so cold it's shocking, sliding rear window transforms bed into trash can, step side look, exhaust rumble is perfect, same size as a Jetta interestingly so it fits everywhere, but good luck turning it into wherever you need to because it don't - wide tires!

Turning radius!! Brakes dear god, MPGs of course, suspension is too stiff. Classic Chevy door problem of falling off of hinge and not shutting correctly. Hayes manual not really tangible when describing problems or solutions, headlamps and brake calipers need special keys to adjust or remove.

Nice Little Truck
By ChevySS

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this truck for a long time and had very few problems. Not to long ago I had to put a fuel pump and a radiator in it. Thats not bad for 185000 miles. Runs like new. I have the 4.3 V6 and it makes pretty good power. Also looks good. Many aftermarket parts are out for it. I have aftermarket wheels on mine and it looks great. It's a great little truck.

The power of the 4.3, 22MPG, the looks