Used 2001 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet S-10

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

S10...I wish they still made them
By numyar

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have very few problems with this truck. I have the 4.3L which has plenty of power. Like every GM product I've owned, you can't beat the powertrain! I get about 22 to 24 on the highway, can't complain about that. (I'm no light foot). I have the sport pack, fatty tires, sport suspension, custom wheels, it still turns heads! The only complaints I have are: 3rd door handle-I've broken 3,not replacing it again! 3rd door/driver door rattle bad together...really bad! The CD player does whatever it wants to. It might play the disk or spit it out for no reason or just keep trying to read it and then spit it out. I still love the truck and would buy another...keep the Colorado!

I love the handling with the sport pack, the overall body style, power of the 4.3L. I just really like this truck!

The 3rd door handle!

Can't get rid of it.
By Mi Yow

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Mine is a 2 door black 4.3L V6 step side bed with the ZQ8 five-star wheels and it sits a little low. Every time I decide it's about time to sell it, I get it washed and someone compliments how nice it looks and they're right. The ride is so bumpy and hard that it is embarrassing for passengers, there appears to be interior room until you put someone in there, the brakes take a little while to get the million pound thing to stop, and it's not easy to keep the rear end still when trying to start off too fast, but all of those things are good too if you think about it. I just can't seem to make myself buy another truck. Spending +$25K to get something new isn't worth more than my 18MPG.

Torque, beautiful, wheels, towing, A/C so cold it's shocking, sliding rear window transforms bed into trash can, step side look, exhaust rumble is perfect, same size as a Jetta interestingly so it fits everywhere, but good luck turning it into wherever you need to because it don't - wide tires!

Turning radius!! Brakes dear god, MPGs of course, suspension is too stiff. Classic Chevy door problem of falling off of hinge and not shutting correctly. Hayes manual not really tangible when describing problems or solutions, headlamps and brake calipers need special keys to adjust or remove.

Nice Little Truck
By ChevySS

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this truck for a long time and had very few problems. Not to long ago I had to put a fuel pump and a radiator in it. Thats not bad for 185000 miles. Runs like new. I have the 4.3 V6 and it makes pretty good power. Also looks good. Many aftermarket parts are out for it. I have aftermarket wheels on mine and it looks great. It's a great little truck.

The power of the 4.3, 22MPG, the looks

Maby an SS with a 350

It's as loyal as a good dog
By Happy with mine

2001 Chevrolet S-10 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my S10 4x4 Crew Cab with 25K, and now have over 80K. One repair in that entire time - front ball joints. Now, I did not keep them greased, so I cannot entirely blame Chevy, although I understand these are a weak point. Other than that, no problems at all.

Durable, reasonable fuel economy vs. power, 4x4 takes me through anything (18" of snow didn't even make it work hard), good power for trailer work. Decent ride, especially considering it's a 4x4 truck. Easy to perform maintenance (fluids, brakes, etc).

Make mud flaps standard.

"xtremely" awesome x dime
By XDIME01

2001 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

What can I say about this truck, it's simply the best vehicle I've ever bought! The 4.3 v6 is a pretty potent motor, with lots of power, and wicked tourqe. The styling cues of the Xtreme are just amazing. I've had my X for almost 5 years, and sure I've had some minor problems, but what vehicle doesn't. I've replaced the battery, the third door handle (twice), and have had the brakes done. And out of those 5 years I've drove every winter, at least 30 miles a day (highway) with no more than just a set of winter tires, and I hardly ever got stuck. Plus the best part of all: all the aftermarket parts available for it, so you can take it from a stocker to a shocker!

Literally, everything, well except for the option of the little 4 banger.

Drop the 4 cyl, and just have the v-6 and a v-8, and maybe improve on the third door handle.