Used 2000 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Typical GM Quality Product
By Tom Bates

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Things held together for the first 36,000 thousand miles. Door hinge pins fell out right at the time the warranty ran out. Then slowly things have been breaking and falling apart. A seat adjustment lever here and there a blower motor, here a short, there a short, gas gauge stuck on 3/4 of a tank. The A/C has one speed and that is on. At least it is working, so does the cigarette lighter.

Light weight .....makes it easy to push when something going wrong or shorts out.

Mandatory recycling after 60,000 miles with a 5 cent deposit return like they do on plastic bottles.

Third Major Repair in Two Years
By Will

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Where should I start? Overall, the 2000 S-10 is a strong workhorse and looks good. Here's my dilemma since purchasing the truck with 100,000 miles on it. Last year, the transmission went out at 160k miles, next the third door handle broke ($140 repair and still feels like it's gonna break again), the alternator died this summer, radiator broke, and the starter died as well. Not knowing what the previous owner did as far as maintenence, but for a 6 year old truck it has left me stranded again...blown engine as a result of the heater core fizzin' out!! Oh, did I mention the $2600 transmission rebuild last year also? I love GM cars, but I'm having second thoughts!

Durable truck bed, exterior features, withstands the elements, comfortable, roomy interior extended cab

Consider better transmission, ball joints (wheel popped off this year), heater core, knobs and handles. Stereo system (Bass stinks when played at loud volume)

Overall a good truck
By Nick

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Xtreme 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck about a year and a half ago with 100,000k on it but I've owned an S-series vehicle before, so the mileage didn't bother me. I've driven it almost 40,000 miles so far and I really don't have any complaints. I only had to replace the MAF sensor and heater core, and I've done everything from auto-crossing to drag racing with it. I've put it through its paces thousands of times and it hasn't given up on me yet. It is definitely a truck that is decently easy to work on if something goes wrong. I've averaged around 20-21 mpg driving 50% city/highway. It's decent for a v6 truck.

Xtreme came with the "ZQ8" suspension, which is stiffer and it handles great. I like the quick ratio steering box, hop shock in the rear, and ability to take a beating.

I'd be nice to have some better seat levers, and a little more economical engine as far as gas mileage goes. And all S10 models should come standard with a limited slip differential, it'd help immensely in the snow.

just junk
By eric

2000 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This truck is a piece of junk. At 44,000 miles I had to replace the water pump. At 46,000 I had to replace the trans. The handle for the seat to recline broke soon after I bought it. I also had to replace the breaks at 25,000 miles. My wife has a 01 f150 that pulls a fifth wheel and it had 60,000 before the breaks went out. Also with 100,000 miles the trany is still going strong. My son has a 87 f150 and has less problems than I am having with this piece of junk. He has 250,000 and his trany is still going strong. This is my last Chevy, going back to Ford. Like a rock my foot.

The only thing is body and the inside.

the whole running gear. all junk

Like A Crock
By Randy

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have sincerely tried to convince myself to stay with American made vehicles. Sorry Chevy, you are the best thing that has happened to Toyota trucks. I'm done. Before I hit 100k I have gone thru 2 gm fuel pumps, 3 sets of wheel bearings, oil cooling lines, heater core, u-joints at 45k, 2 handles for the 3rd door, seat recliner handles snapped off, headlight mounting assembly cracked, countless rotors, 3 times stranded and towed. Handle for rear slider window broke. Tailgate rusting last year. Interior fit and finish sucks-evrything makes noise. Tranny whine at 90k. 4 wheel drive has been reliable and works flawlessly. Motor is powerful.

Push-button 4-wheel drive.