Used 2000 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Dependable
By Virginian

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought the truck with 5K miles on it from a young couple having their first baby. I have almost 140K on it and it has been the most depenable daily driver I have owned. I knew about the potential ball joint problems and had grease inserts put in. I replaced the shocks at 50K,not because they were bad. Light trucks tend to fish tail over gravel and wash boards and I wanted better stability. I had the rotors turned and new pads put on at 75K, and the lower balls joints replaced at 135K. At 104K I changed the plugs, plug wires, flushed the radiator, replaced the lube in the transmission and rear end. Other than normal maintenance nothing else has failed. Oh, I replaced the battery.

Reliability/dependability. I have driven it on several 16-18 hour trips and was comfortable the whole trip. I get 25 mpg commuting and 30 mpg on the long trips. For a truck that I paid $7400 for - it's earned my respect. Try buying something like this at that price today.

The original Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires were horrible with even a slight bit of moisture on the ground. I thought they would never wear out. So, at 60K I replaced them anyway with Yokohamas, and am not at all dissapointed.

3rd and LAST S-10
By Carlos

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

First 2 S-10s I owned were 4-cylinder 2-wheel drive. Good bang for the buck little truck, but don't expect more than 100,000 miles out of them. The last one is a 4.3 4x4. Fun truck, good power and handling, great 4-wheel drive, But wheel cylinders and ball joints are junk and need to be replaced frequently, very expensive. I have replaced all the wheel cylinders at least once at $500 each. I replace at least two ball joints every year. Other front suspension problems as well. The 100,000 mile coolant needs to be changed at 60,000 miles or your heater core will get clogged and heat will stop working. Gas gauge stopped working in last two S10s, too expensive to fix.

Looks, handling, power, push button 4x4.

Wheel cylinders, ball joints, front suspension, coolant, fuel gauge...junk!

S-10
By jacgeo5153

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Replaced tie-rod, upper & lower ball joints (had no grease fittings), rusted fuel line (garage kept), all before the truck had 50,000 miles. It's a shame you have to payout over $2,000 for these types of repairs and you're still making payments! I've heard other similar problems with these types of GM vehicles from friends and neighbors and I got about the same (that's typical) response from most of them. Absolutely terrible gas mileage for a small truck. Just terrible! Extremely rough riding vehicle. (Teddy Roosevelt would have liked it). I don't care to drive it and I can't wait to get a new one.

I can honestly say that I have no favorite features.

My review would be obvious for my suggestions. I always had pride in (made in USA) products, and at age 54, I never purchased a vehicle that was not made in America. My next vehicle will have another name besides Ford, GM or Chrysler, unfortunately!

Not overly impressed
By Stevie-P

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought this truck to replace an aging
Lumina 18 months ago. In that time
I've put 33K on it, with little
problem. Replaced a throttle position
sensor around 70K miles ($145).
However, replacing a fuel pump is NOT
cheap. The pump itself is $530, not to
mention the premium price that GM
dealerships garner.

Generally good fuel economy. Sound system and comfort controls are easy to grasp and use.

I hope the new Colorado 4cyl improves the power that this 2.2L lacks.

Disappointed in "THE GENERAL"
By nickcon104

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I have owned my s-10 Stepside for 4
years and have had overall a good
experience with my truck. The build
quality is starting to show its age.
The drivers door is sagging, the rear
tail lights and brake lights decided to
short out. The rubber window molding on
the door comes loose and flaps around
at high speeds. Truck is reliable and
sporty looking and the interior is
comfortable. I am in the market for a
new vehicle but as much as I would like
to stay w/a Chevy, I don't think I want
to plunk down my hard earned $$ for
another GM product :-(

Auto sensor headlights, good looks, good MPG's (4cyl) radio stays on while ignition is off,

Build quality is junk, electrical system is junk, too many rattles.