Used 2000 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet S-10

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

I must have got a good one
By Colorado ZR2

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I lucked out and got a good one! The GM shop must have give out bonus checks the morning before this little truck was made. 193,500 miles with no major mechanical problems. Truck does have several small problems but nothing that takes the fun out of driving this "Z". The 4x4 system is great, 5 speed with the ZR2 limited slip, truck will go anywhere in the snow. Interior held up well, seats were covered and look new. No cracks in the dash, all the knobs and buttons still work. The stock rims did break between the lug nuts. I had to sell this truck today because I need more room for a new baby. Wish I could keep it but I bought a new Tundra Crewmax

ZR2 package Dash Torque! 4x4 low easy to drive and Fun to drive. Will go anywhere, I beat the snot out of this truck and it held up thanks to my aggressive maintenance routine.

GM no longer makes S10's so recalls and warranty issues will be on your dime. Don't buy one, there are LOTS of problems with the S10. Go with a Tacoma TRD if you want a midsize off road truck you will save $$ in the long run. Check the S10 online forums before you buy. I lucked out with mine.

Sixth S10
By MH

2000 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Extended Cab SB

I've had six S10s - 2 poor, 2 OK, 2 excellent. My current 2000 model has been one of the excellent ones. After 10 years and 113K miles I still love it. 4cyl/5spd averages 25mpg regularly. AC still cold! Travels off road with an occasional light trailer tow. Replaced: a headlight lamp, one set of brakes, shocks and battery. Currently having all 100K mile maintenance done, including tie rods replaced.($1900) I plan on keeping this truck a while longer. I like a plain, cheap truck that works and the S10 fits the bill. Mine has no PW/PL, no 3rd door to rattle, room enough for a 6'4" driver. The only extra is the sound system. I'd buy another new one if I could. Just don't like the Colorado.

Extended cab, headroom and mileage. Better std. transmission and clutch than previous models.

Seats, sound system.

Not to bad
By Doug

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

For as cheap as these trucks are they aren't that bad. Third door handle broke but i found a metal replacement online for 35 bucks. Never had any major problems besides tierods and wheel bearings. $ cylinder is a bit sluggish but haven't had any problems. Definitely a cheap build though. Bought it for $4500 when it was 7 years old. Has been rusting out though due to Michigan weather, cab corner, third door, and rear wheel wheels. Both seat levers did break off but found replacements at autozon for like 30 each.

third door handle, seat lever, more power, stick to the v6

A bullet proof Chevy
By Johnny B

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Completely reliable, at least for me, without fail. Not once. I've had her for about 2 years and 31,000 miles, and the only times I've ver been stranded were because of tire problems, and once because of a dead battery. (when I first purchased the truck) it's not fast or flashy, but it gets very good fuel economy, especially if you drive conservatively. When I do I believe I get about 26-27 mpg. Sound system is nothing amazing, but leaves nothing to be wanted either. Abs has always worked properly for me and saved me from a few near-wrecks. This truck is fun on gravel, and good at light off-roading which I have done my fair share of. Simple, effective engineering and a good looking truck.

reliability, fuel economy, third door, and fairly ample storage in bed and extended cab area. also good ground clearance which is nice for rough roads, driveways, etc.

More power is the only thing I can think of, the 2.2 usually gives you plenty to do everyday things, but say you have a/c on and are going up a ramp to get on the highway, you have to floor the sucker. Other than that, perfect for everyday needs. I love this truck.

great but not awesome
By Brian

2000 Chevrolet S-10 LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought truck new and let me tell you, If you ever owned a Fiero this truck is a Godsend. Yes I have had some problems...driver side seat lever snapped (pot metal design) I have had the ball joints replaced and the fuel relay. also the heater core clogged but I blew it out with some water. the only annoying thing is the abs , which activates in dry weather...pulled the fuse..no abs but who needs abs it is useless anyhow...I think I have had one time this truck didn't start in 10 years..cause of the fuel relay..to me that is a dependable truck..the rest I can deal with.

Not getting stuck in the snow, not many major problems, starting every day for 10 years.

stop using cheap metal . my third door is starting to rust out and the seat handle broke off. need to fix that abs issue or do away with abs altogether. one last little thing..no after market speakers fit into the dash according to crutchfield..