Used 1998 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Great buy
By darko789

1998 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have put 120000 miles on since I bought it. Has yet to let me down. 4.3 has all the power I will ever need. Gets decent mpgs. It has been a great truck for me.

Location of everything. Great user controls.

Seat ajusment levers.

Good little truck
By GregS73

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

For a 4 cylinder, it's got a nice little bit of pep taking off, but after 3rd gear the torque numbers drop dramatically, mainly because of the gearing. Good truck for a commuter, and can also hold it's own when you've got the bed loaded down. I've hauled anything from four wheelers to 900 pounds of rocks in the back of it and she never falters.

Five speed stick with cruise control, fold down seats in back.

Chevrolet quit making the S-10 so it's kind of pointless to suggest anything, but the jump seats in the back developed a very bad squeak when they are folded up. Other than that, it's a good mini truck ready for customizing, or even a V8 swap!

Small is better
By Joe

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I like the my S-10 for it's performance, road handling and driving comfort.

The comfortable seats and interiior.

None, to speak of. It's just too bad that the GM designers are making the S- 10 bigger and wider..

Good companion, but not made well enough
By Jumperus

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Purchased this truck in 1998 and I inherited it in 2000 as my only vehicle and daily driver. It has run fairly well and performed as I needed, but my experiences have been similar to others'. Seat handle broken (by a thief who smashed the window, however), front grille plastic has cracked and had to be safety wired back together. Alternator replaced, battery replaced, hole in the radiator, water pump replaced, A/C compressor leak, some intermittent starting issues, oil and transmission pan seepage. For a 9 year old inexpensive truck, it's performed adequately. Little power, but nimble enough in my hands. Good beater, decent to drive, but not made very well.

Roomy enough for me (5'10", 200), nice size, simple but classy design. Respectable gas mileage (19-21 at 70% highway, 30% streets).

Horrible oil filter location, too many poor quality parts (plastic especially), not quite enough power in the 4 cylinder. Granted, it's largely moot now that the vehicle's out of production, but I'm mostly writing this as a memorial to my soon-to-be retired friend.

Good Little Truck
By Truck Driver

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this new w/ 2.2L 4 cyl engine. Engine has enough power to get you around and pull a 1-ton trailer fully loaded. I get 21mpg driving 20 min to work, each way, in mixed county/city driving. 3rd door rattle and both seat levers were fixed under warranty. No ignition wiring issues so far, 8+ years and 91K miles. Oil pan leaked couple of drops when left parked for 5 days -that is how I found out. Chevy split cost of repair eventhough it was out of warranty. Windshield wipers, sometimes, take longer than normal to change speed after stalk position has been changed, annoying. Since problems were fixed to my satisfaction I bought another Chevy ('03 Avalanche) and been very happy with that.

Nice little truck. Good gas mileage, but two wheel drive is no good in minor Indiana winters.

Chevy should know better than to put shoddy seat levers. Wiper issue appears to be S/W related. It is a great truck if not for the minor issues that hamper quality ratings.