Used 1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Good little truck
By GregS73

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

For a 4 cylinder, it's got a nice little bit of pep taking off, but after 3rd gear the torque numbers drop dramatically, mainly because of the gearing. Good truck for a commuter, and can also hold it's own when you've got the bed loaded down. I've hauled anything from four wheelers to 900 pounds of rocks in the back of it and she never falters.

Five speed stick with cruise control, fold down seats in back.

Chevrolet quit making the S-10 so it's kind of pointless to suggest anything, but the jump seats in the back developed a very bad squeak when they are folded up. Other than that, it's a good mini truck ready for customizing, or even a V8 swap!

Small is better
By Joe

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I like the my S-10 for it's performance, road handling and driving comfort.

The comfortable seats and interiior.

None, to speak of. It's just too bad that the GM designers are making the S- 10 bigger and wider..

Good Little Truck
By Truck Driver

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this new w/ 2.2L 4 cyl engine. Engine has enough power to get you around and pull a 1-ton trailer fully loaded. I get 21mpg driving 20 min to work, each way, in mixed county/city driving. 3rd door rattle and both seat levers were fixed under warranty. No ignition wiring issues so far, 8+ years and 91K miles. Oil pan leaked couple of drops when left parked for 5 days -that is how I found out. Chevy split cost of repair eventhough it was out of warranty. Windshield wipers, sometimes, take longer than normal to change speed after stalk position has been changed, annoying. Since problems were fixed to my satisfaction I bought another Chevy ('03 Avalanche) and been very happy with that.

Nice little truck. Good gas mileage, but two wheel drive is no good in minor Indiana winters.

Chevy should know better than to put shoddy seat levers. Wiper issue appears to be S/W related. It is a great truck if not for the minor issues that hamper quality ratings.

Great truck
By great truck

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased my S-10 after I drove my Neon through a very large mudpuddle and blew the engine, I figured I'd get something that can handle more abuse. and boy was I right. mine has been through everything imaginable, I have even pulled a 05 Silverado out of a ditch and continued to drag him while he applied his brakes. I have 214,000 miles on this truck (original trans and engine) Long story short, if you are in the market for a small truck get an S- 10

Everything

Windshield wiper module (pulse board) which is native to all Chevy trucks of that time frame

I love my S-10
By IndianaAbsentee

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck last spring because I was in a pinch and had to act fast. It has turned out to be the best vehicle I have ever owned. I use it as a daily driver, and I pull a 17' fiberglass bass boat with it frequently. The truck gets the job done, and looks great. I put a water pump in it this winter, and had some minor problems with the ignition wiring, but nothing major has gone wrong even though there are 74,000 rough miles on this truck.

I lvoe the 4.3L Vortec V6. Great torque and plenty of power to pull my boat. I like how the truck looks too.

The seats are a little stiff, and the jumpseat in the cab is a joke. I would rather have a storage bin back there, becasue that's what I use the space for anyway. Also, an option package should come with a bed cover and bed lining. I bought both post-purchase.