Used 1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Great buy
By darko789

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have put 120000 miles on since I bought it. Has yet to let me down. 4.3 has all the power I will ever need. Gets decent mpgs. It has been a great truck for me.

Location of everything. Great user controls.

Seat ajusment levers.

Good companion, but not made well enough
By Jumperus

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Purchased this truck in 1998 and I inherited it in 2000 as my only vehicle and daily driver. It has run fairly well and performed as I needed, but my experiences have been similar to others'. Seat handle broken (by a thief who smashed the window, however), front grille plastic has cracked and had to be safety wired back together. Alternator replaced, battery replaced, hole in the radiator, water pump replaced, A/C compressor leak, some intermittent starting issues, oil and transmission pan seepage. For a 9 year old inexpensive truck, it's performed adequately. Little power, but nimble enough in my hands. Good beater, decent to drive, but not made very well.

Roomy enough for me (5'10", 200), nice size, simple but classy design. Respectable gas mileage (19-21 at 70% highway, 30% streets).

Horrible oil filter location, too many poor quality parts (plastic especially), not quite enough power in the 4 cylinder. Granted, it's largely moot now that the vehicle's out of production, but I'm mostly writing this as a memorial to my soon-to-be retired friend.

Last Chevy I'll Ever Buy
By floridaboy

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

This truck has been in the repair shop continuously since I purchased it. I purchased this truck with 11,000 miles. Two weeks after the warranty ran out, the CD player started sending an error message and would not load CD's. I have had to replace the fuel pump 3 times on this vehicle to the tune of 600 per pump. The pump is in the gas tank and the tank has to be dropped. The pumps themselves cost $300 to $500 depending where you buy it. I have had to replace the starter 4 times. Seriously! Faulty starters chewed up the flywheel. Another $600 repair! I have had to replace the front shocks, front and rear brakes, alternator, rear CV joint, Trans fluid. Avoid S-10's!

The truck looks good! No rust. Nice Paint. Decent gas mileage if you can keep it running! Fair performance with 4 cylinder. Comfortable seats. Good running engine so far. Fingers are crossed. That will be next. I would trade it but I already have rebuilt the truck, might as well keep it.

good truck
By kckoch

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I drive alot of highways to and from work. I take care of the oil changes every 3000 miles and the mechanic says it is in good shape to reach 200,000 miles. The only nagging problem is the security light comes on once in a while. They want $3-400 dollars to replace the security system. I prevents the truck from starting once in a while and I have to wait 20 minutes for the system to reengage to start the truck. Over all it has been a good truck fo me!

1998 ZR2
By jbl_forever

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab ZR2 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This vehicle is very fun to drive and the look of it is very appealing. I have owned this vehicle for one year and have put over $2500 in repairs. The guy before me must have not taken care of it. I didn't go more than two months without something going wrong. I was at the repair shop frequently. Although it caused me some headaches, I would defintely own another ZR2 and they are worth the money, as long as you take care of it.

Very comfortable seats and interior is laid out nicely. The truck has good power and the clearance makes 4-wheeling easy.

Hubs, Ball bearings, fuel pump, muffler all needed to be replaced before 80k miles. Truck is very light and even in 4wd it slides in the snow. Seat handles snapped right away and the shocks are stiffer than any other truck I have road in.