Used 1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Never again
By compaqter

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I should have never bought this piece of junk. This truck will be my first and last GM vehicle I will ever own. The 4cyl engine is awfully underpowered and automatic transmission is sluggish. The cheap material used in this truck is overwhelming, the dashboard is falling apart. The interior rattles all the time. The seat recliner handles broke off, I bought new ones and those broke. A lot of wind noise and rain water occasionally drips inside. The engine service light is always on. Replacing the spark plugs is a nightmare. Heater core leaked and replacing that is also difficult. AC doesn't work. Shocks and struts need to be replaced. Beginning to rust. Low resale value. Poor design.

Seats are comfortable. I like how the arm rest on the doors are padded. Cup holders.

My older car was faster, had better material, was reliable, and had a higher resale value than this pathetic truck.

2nd time around
By john

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is #2 S-10 for me. 2002 Std with 4.3 Vortec. Tranny rebuild and fuel pump at 200,000 miles on first. sold at 225,000. This truck now runs mail route in rural NC. Went through 2 Canyon disasters and then purchased this truck with 51,000 miles on it. Replaced H20 pump, AC unit, alternator, battery,and radiator. had to have drive shaft rebuilt at 85,000. My fault because I let the rear shocks go bad and the rear end had excess drag when towing. Rye Valley Gear in SW Virginia has a rebuild kit for the connector to the rear coupler. Simple inexpensive repair for this problem. Excellent truck and I am very happy. 21 to 23 mpg without trailer. 19 to 21 when towing. Use Shell 87 for fuel.

DRL, 4.3 Vortec Engine. Excellent power response and road handling. Superb towing capabilities.

Too late for improvements. I keep working to make this truck stand out in every way.

Chevy S-10 Overview
By Georgia Cracker

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it with about 70,000 miles on it and have 143,000 now. Uses no oil. Got the V6, A/T, 3rd door option. Had major A/C repair in year two and replaced engine control module recently. Cranks and drives reliably. Keep oil changed and routine service on transmission. Overall, it's been a good truck.

Power, reliability, cold A/C.

3rd door latch needs serious upgrade. I've replaced it twice: cheap plastic.

Last Chevy S10
By mbcinos

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Junk, junk, and more junk from the GM people. I owned an older S10 (1985) and put 169,000 miles on it. This one has been one nightmare after another. I used to be a GM mechanic, so I saved myself a lot of repair bills. But fuel pump,O2 sensors, map sensor, two coils, various distributor caps, they say napa has the best one, I'm going to try it next. K&N filter helps on gas mileage just as long as you don't spray much oil on it. Intake gaskets leaked antifreeze out instead of in ,so it didn't blow motor, lucky! The check engine light is almost always on and I can't get my brake lights to go out, which by the way is a common problem usualy caused by the master switch.

Will go in the snow like a Jeep, 4wd drive is awesome. 30 inch factory tires are pricey but very good in rough terrain

Missing the little trucks
By Eric

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab ZR2 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've owned my S10 for quite a few years and have moved things that most full-sized trucks couldn't. With the zr2 package I had the advantage of a large truck in a small build and it has never let me down, but as I grow older I realize I need a larger truck. A shame to loose ( almost a family member) it.

Limited slip diff. and 4.3l that has enough power to out preform a small block!

Should never stoped building them. (great for a young man running every where to the elderly moving bagged leafs off of his lawn.)