Used 1998 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Will last forever
By driven_it_all

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought mine used in 2000 with 34k miles. Sold her in 2011 with 240k miles.
Pros
-never replaced clutch
-brakes last long time
-never any major work done
-decent on gas
-took the abuse I gave to it.
-motor and transmission are very good
Cons
-cosmetic & electrical issues
-a/c issues ( I gave up after 3rd time)
-leaks oil at 100k miles
-cluster went out at 200k
Would highly recommend if you are looking for a reliable cheap truck.

Best Truck in the World
By ehzzie

1998 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

This vehicle was truly a gem.
I have driven it to the east coast and to the west coast and pretty much everywhere inbetween.
Never had any huge problems until it got to be over 200,000 miles. Then it started nickel and diming me.
I have nothing but good to say about this vehicle.
If they still made them I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Good on gas mileage, fun, reliable.

The handles on the sides that let you lean the seat forward did fall off after about 135,000 miles or so

Never again
By compaqter

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I should have never bought this piece of junk. This truck will be my first and last GM vehicle I will ever own. The 4cyl engine is awfully underpowered and automatic transmission is sluggish. The cheap material used in this truck is overwhelming, the dashboard is falling apart. The interior rattles all the time. The seat recliner handles broke off, I bought new ones and those broke. A lot of wind noise and rain water occasionally drips inside. The engine service light is always on. Replacing the spark plugs is a nightmare. Heater core leaked and replacing that is also difficult. AC doesn't work. Shocks and struts need to be replaced. Beginning to rust. Low resale value. Poor design.

Seats are comfortable. I like how the arm rest on the doors are padded. Cup holders.

My older car was faster, had better material, was reliable, and had a higher resale value than this pathetic truck.

2nd time around
By john

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is #2 S-10 for me. 2002 Std with 4.3 Vortec. Tranny rebuild and fuel pump at 200,000 miles on first. sold at 225,000. This truck now runs mail route in rural NC. Went through 2 Canyon disasters and then purchased this truck with 51,000 miles on it. Replaced H20 pump, AC unit, alternator, battery,and radiator. had to have drive shaft rebuilt at 85,000. My fault because I let the rear shocks go bad and the rear end had excess drag when towing. Rye Valley Gear in SW Virginia has a rebuild kit for the connector to the rear coupler. Simple inexpensive repair for this problem. Excellent truck and I am very happy. 21 to 23 mpg without trailer. 19 to 21 when towing. Use Shell 87 for fuel.

DRL, 4.3 Vortec Engine. Excellent power response and road handling. Superb towing capabilities.

Too late for improvements. I keep working to make this truck stand out in every way.

3rd S-10
By dale

1998 Chevrolet S-10 LS 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Bought the truck brand new. Loved the truck until I looked at the paint really good after it's first bath. I found 100+ specs in the paint and took the truck to the dealership for repainting. They decided not to paint the truck after having it 3 weeks and I got my truck back color sanded and butter waxed. It looked good when I was walking up but then all I could see was the swirls in the crappy buff job they had done. I put 120,000 miles on it in a year and got another S-10 in 99. other than the paint the truck ran great.

good on gas, cup holder in the door, tilt wheel and cruise control, 3rd door,