Used 1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

A Real Work Truck
By David French

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LB

I love my truck. It is not much more than a vehicle to get me to and from work but it is fun to drive and very dependable. The few major repairs I have had have been expensive but thankfully they have been few and far between. To just have a truck that you can use to haul furniture, lawn care stuff, or just about anything, this little S-10 is about as good as it gets.

The dependable way it always starts for me. I just had the alternator go out on me for the first time and the repair shop recommended I get a new battery since the one I had was five years old. It was still starting right up with a five year old battery.

Cloth seats need to be improved.

Like a rock
By Greg

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LB

I have owned this truck for about a year now. I love almost everything about it. The 4.3L has plenty of power compared to my earlier 87 s-10 with the 2.8L. This truck has almost 400k and does not owe me a thing. The one thing I would change is more durable cloth on seats especially on driver side. Recommend the S-10 to anyone so far best built compared to ford and dodge.

4.3 liter motor, towing capability,

Better quality seats

Vortec is an absolute beast
By 2384623846

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Anyone who complains about this truck has major issues. I have a 1996 ss with stock zq8 suspension and a modified vortec v6. The only problems I encountered were with dialing in the supercharger with my other mods. its fast fun and reliable. and the interior is well organized.

The vortec and the outside design with my 2003 Sonoma front end

A five speed would be better

Piece of junk
By ptlytch07

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased this truck with about 80,000 miles on it from a private seller. I only kept the vehicle for 6 months because it was constantly having problems. A/C went out, transmission had to be repaired, radiator had to be replaced, etc. Of course, none of the repairs were cheap or simple. I finally got all the bugs out and got rid of it before something else could go wrong. I wouldn't buy another one of these if I had to. I would rather walk! Piece of junk!

Could carry stuff in the back.

Everything.

Take the good with the bad
By James in KY

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab LS 2dr Regular Cab SB

Overall the Chevy S-10 has a solid engine with the Vortec V6. I will say I have the same problems as many others. Owned it for only a week (brand new with 53 miles) and the vanity mirror light stayed illuminated. ABS grinds. Mirror rattled loose. Tranny, clutch and catalytic converter went out at 50K. At some time still under warranty, wiper delay module went out. Now AC needs recharging every summer ($10 kit from Wal-Mart). Water pump, O2 sens., alternator, U-joints going out to be expected w/ high mileage. Check engine light stays on now with 135,700 with no other indications of mechanical problems. With regular maintenance, engine has no problem. Probably drive it until wheels fall off.

Looks sharp in black with tinted windows. Fun to drive with V6 and 5 speed manual. Not bad sound system for stock.

Make tranny and AC last as long as engine. Improve cab design for traffic light visibility while at rest in traffic light first position (for tall guys anyway). Design mirrors more rigidly. Improve gas mileage. With $3/gal. costs about $200 per month to operate. Go hydrogen or ethanol.