Used 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

Best Chevy I ever had!!!
By S10's FOREVER!!

1991 Chevrolet S-10 Tahoe 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this S10 new in '91. It sat on the lot almost a year, since it has no AC. It is mint green & white 2 tone (Have only seen 1 other like it). I LOVE this truck. Have only spent about $300 on it other than routine maint. It has 197,000+ miles on it with a 2.8 V6 and 5 spd tranny. Daily driver, still gets hwy mileage around 28 mpg, uses 1 qt of oil between 3,000 mile changes (it's been like that since it was new). I would strongly advise if you can find a good older S10, BUY IT!! I'm on the lookout for another one.

Truck drives good, handles good and great mileage for the miles I have put on it. I actually like this S10 BETTER than a '98 that I have. It gets the same gas mileage with a 2.8 V6 that my '98 with a 2.2 4cyl. Love everyting about the truck!!

Chevy should have kept the small S10. Good Reliable, fun to drive vehicle!!

Trustworthy workhorse & handy
By man_of_honor

1991 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought a 2.5L 4cyl Short Box with Automatic Transmission and Rallye Wheels new in 09-91. The S10 still delivers decent mileage, competent handling, and outstanding reliability. No engine repairs. No transmission repairs. No electrical repairs under the hood. The only parts to wear out have been the fuel pump, and consequently the dashboard fuel gauge (both replaced at 138,000 miles); the serpentine belt at 95,000 miles, and the water pump at 110,000 miles. The 4- cyl lacks punch in overdrive. But the transmission with well tuned gearing and 89 octane gas compensate nicely, provided you are willing to down-shift the automatic manually. It deserves my highest recommendation.

Reliable. Handy. Automatic Transmission. Flexibility to install one size larger 205-75-14 tires. S10 braking with 205's was superior to 89 Escort with 175's. Predictable handling. Low cost of ownership. Tires and parts are available and cheap. Wide open spaces under the hood.

A bit more low end torque, and horsepower would have helped since I live in hilly terrain with steep grades. Once clocked 38 mpg over two days riding overdrive on the flat highways in Delaware. Get slighltly below Federal mpg estimates in the Pocono foothills because of horsepower limitations.

Still going strong
By wjhm

1991 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I've loved this truck, currently at 160,000 miles and running strong still. Have had only very minor problems that came with age. I expect it'll keep going for a while longer. Great for hauling things (from furniture, rocks, dirt, etc.) and passing other cars on the road.

Very powerful engine gets me ahead of most other vehicles. Extremely reliable over the years w/no major problems. Seems to do most of what larger trucks do but easier to drive, park, gas up, etc.

Since it's a 1991, any improvements I'd have have since been incorporated in newer models.

1 owner faithful pickup
By leme

1991 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab LB

This truck has been in our family its
whole life and is still going strong
at 180,000 miles. It used to be much
better on gas mileage, but it doesn't
owe us anything anymore. The 4.3 V6
still has plenty of power. She went
through a salt water flood up to her
floorboards 5 years ago, and aside
from body rust hasn't shown any signs
of giving up. I hope my next pickup
gives me the reliability of 'ol Red'.

Powerful V6 engine, long bed has been useful. Reliability, Reliability, Reliability.

I also had paint erosion around 120,000 miles. The grey primer has appeared on the roof and side of the cab. Even during its early days, waxing seemed to shed much more red color than it should have.

Good Basic Truck
By mowman777

1991 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

I was quite pleased with my purchase of
the truck. I put a hard 140K miles on
it. I towed a trailer regularly and
even with the 4 cyl engine had no
problems. Great truck for the price.

Reliability.

Better paint job. The paint began to peel at 100k. This is a problem Chevy had with many of their vehicle built in the early 90's.