Used 2002 Chevrolet Prizm Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Prizm

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

5 years and running like a champ!
By LinRichards

2002 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car used with 64,000 miles on it five years ago. I LOVE THIS CAR. So reliable, I have not had to do any major repairs on it. I have of course changed tires, batteries, flushed the transmission. But there have been no other real problems. When I drive on the interstate or above 70 mph, it does eat a lot of oil. Im thinking it might have an internal oil leak. I need to get it looked at. But the miles per gallon is incredible and I absolutely love this tiny little car. I like that it has nothing automatic on it, thats how you can keep the cost down. BUY IT PEEPS!

Gas mileage, reliability, strong build

um, make it faster i guess? put some oomph into it!

Worst car ever made
By Lash

2002 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used for about $3,000 with 120k miles on it. 2 weeks after I bought it the brake calipers went out, then out of nowhere the car wouldn't start. I checked the starter and it was bad so after I replaced that it still wouldn't start. I rewired the ground and hot wire from the battery to the starter and still nothing. I replaced the starter relay and finally the ignition switch and it started again. Now not even a month later and I threw a rod in the motor. I have had 2 oil changed in the 4 months Ive owned it because I drive out of town to visit my mother often. It's gonna cost over $1500 to replace the motor so I'm just junking it and buying something else.

Nothing at all. Why would you offer a 2002 with manual everything? It was next to impossible to work under the hood because everything was so cramped together. Even the inside of the car was cramped for a 4-door sedan.

Go back to the drawing board. Redesign everything. I know Toyota makes good motors and transmissions but they apparently weren't made for this design of car because its terrible. No hp, no leg room, no power anything, and not reliable. I've had 20 year old cars that lasted longer

Bring back the Prizm
By Julie

2002 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We have been more than happy with our 2002 Prizm. Still gets 32+ mpg. Even in winter here in Minnesota! We are religious about giving it oil changes every 3000 miles. It has had 2 major maintenance checks with no major fixes. We live on a long gravel road which is also hard on vehicles, but this car seems to handle it fine. We hope we can get another 100,000+ miles from it so our teen daughter can inherit it from us in 3 years.

gas mileage, easy interior to clean

better paint/body coating at the bottom of the doors where salt seems to eat away at the finish and it begins to rust after only 5 years.

My 02 Prizm LSi
By Ralph0722

2002 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car used last month. Very good shape for year/miles. Very economical to run and keep. Plenty of Toyota parts available. I get about 32 mpg mostly. AC is strong. Stereo is pretty decent. Cover all basic necessities like power windows, locks, mirrors, cruise. Alloy wheels. Sharp little car.

Fuel economy. Toyota reliability. Parts are avail everywhere. Comfy seats. AC is strong. Stereo CD. Alloys.

Lack of storage. Armrest is low to the floor. Car was designed for small people or women. I'm 5'11" 220 lb male i find it a bit tight. Cup holder blocks radio. Interior plastic, door handles and weatherstrips are cheap, flimsy and brittle. Noisy engine.

My 02 Prizm LSi
By Ralph0722

2002 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used last month. I must say im very happy with this small zippy car. 1.8L VVTi is noisy but runs economical. 4AT shifts smoothly. Interior room is tight, back seat has no leg room back there. I consider this a 2 people car or a college student car (i am one). Trunk size is ok for class. Design is clean and simple, very Toyota like. Since this car is the same as a Corolla parts are available everywhere.

Runs economical, parts are mostly cheap and available everywhere. Good AC and good Delco radio. Seats are comfy. PW,PL,Mirrors,Cruise,alloy wheels,has all basic necessities covered. Is a basic car but in a good way.

Quality of interior. Weatherstrips are peeling and cracking. Door handles are flimsy and they break easily (common Toyota problem) Engine very loud and vibrates a lot. Cramped back seat. Cup holders are so 1990's they block the radio.