Used 2001 Chevrolet Prizm Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Prizm

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

A great bet
By Luke

2001 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Although not the most stylish or fast, this is truly a reliable car. First one that I bought and owned, I haven't had a major problem after 60,000 miles of driving. The only problems were a burnt out light bulb in the dash, and a little leaking brake fluid now that my brakes are getting to the point of needing replacement. It handles fairly well in the snow with the cooper tires on it. The side air bags give it a good safety rating, and the overdrive on the Lsi means great gas mileage. I know there's a Chevy emblem on the front but there's "Toyota Corolla" printed on the gas cap ;) It's just a good, solid car.

Reliability and ease of maintenance, heats and cools quickly, the cruise control joystick, gas mileage.

A bit cramped for my legs on long drives.

Bad Luck
By aria49

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had the worst luck with this car. Three months after I bought it, it began to stall out when I would start it after not driving it for awhile. (The mass airflow sensor was faulty.) On a road trip my timing belt snapped resulting in needing to totally replace the engine. The most recent thing to go wrong with this car is that the hood latch was faulty resulting in my hood being bent beyond a cheap repair. (Had to replace the hood, both quarter panels, paint them and finally replace the hood latch.) Everything that has gone wrong with this car was an expensive fix. The other issue I have with this car is it gets less than 30 mpg highway.

Cruise control, standard cd player wasn't bad.

A four leaf clover in every car, better gas mileage, back seats that fold down.

Not as good as they used to be
By mtimmer

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I have a '97 Prizm that I have really liked and been impressed with. While most aspects of the '01 model are better, the reliability has decreased in my opinion. I've had multiple problems with it within the first 6 months of ownership- most of them fairly minor, but a couple fairly expensive. The dealer replaced several sensors under warranty, but several other things have gone wrong since the warranty expired. Most alarmingly, the engine seems to be burning a lot of oil (about 1 quart every 1000 miles), especially considering that it only has 63,000 miles on it. If only was as reliable as my bullet-proof '97 Prizm.

Fuel economy (34 mpg), sporty handling, lots of room inside, decent acceleration

Build an engine that doesn't burn oil after 60,000 miles and never put a 3 speed auto in any car again.

Good city car, some disappointments
By MTodd

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have a '97 Prizm that I really like, so I bought an '01 Prizm for my wife. Personally, I think they started to cheap out the newer models. My '97 with 112,000 miles on it feels, looks and drives better than my wife's 01 (with 62,000 miles), not to mention being more reliable. Since I got the '01, I've had to put in new MAF and O2 sensors and had vibration issues with the tires. Now the charcoal canister has gone out for another $385. I've been very disappointed after my great experience with the '97. In all fairness to GM/Toyota, it seems like the previous owner really beat up on the car, which may explain some of the repair issues.

Great fuel economy - averages 33-34 mpg in all city driving. Has a smooth ride, although the steering is a bit numb. All the repair issues have been relatively minor- i.e. the car still starts up and drives each day. Feels pretty roomy for a small car.

The 3 speed auto was a terrible idea. It's fine in the city, but the engine really strains at highway speeds. Steering/handling is numb and not so responsive. Simplify the emissions system, or find a way to keep the components from going bad so quickly.

Great Little Sedan
By Kaysea

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great family car, with enough room for Mom, Dad, and a couple of kids. Came with front dual airbags and there are rear seatbelts with shoulder straps and a special hook-up for an infant carseat. Makes me feel pretty safe. There is plenty of leg room for the average person and a good size trunk for lots of stuff. I find that the car handles very well and is fun to drive on the highway. It has real good pick-up. I like this car and friends that have driven my car have loved it too!!

I think I get very good gas milage. I'm not good with numbers but....when the tank is on "E" it takes about 11 gals to fill it. I reset the mile counter and go 400 miles befor it hits "E" again. At almost $3 a gal here, I figure $30 for 400 miles ain't bad.