Used 2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

weak econobox
By Bob

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Base model with a few options. Looking for Totota reliability, but used car dealer can't seem to fix horn/cruise control issue (they don't work, and need a new relay). Low seating. Checked oil after 1 month, 3.5 quarts low! Yikes, that doesn't leave much. After filling oil, a month later it needs 1.5 quarts. Another reviewer noted his mother ran her Prizm 3 times with no oil; maybe because it burns. Someone else said it burns oil at highway speed. Could be. I don't see any drips in the garage. 3- speed auto stinks on the highway, car really doesn't like going over 60. Engine is making lifter noises. If engine holds up, this will be good around-town econobox for my HS kid.

Small, good gas mileage.

3-speed auto is bad idea.

Prizm Cuts Through Clutter
By Andrew

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a wonderful automobile because I get 42 mpg highway and a little city combined. The seats are a little uncomfortable, but my car has 113000 miles on it and it drives like a brand new car. Would deff recommend to a friend! I guess you could say i'm one of "the 9/10 ppl who would recommend Prizm to a friend". Prizm definitely "cuts through the clutter". In the mid 1990s I was "getting to know Geo" through the Geo Storm. Well, the Geo, or excuse me Chevrolet Prizm has my vote as one of the top cars of 2001. I hope I never smash my car. I am obsessed with Prizm. Prizm is good. I will buy a first generation Prizm (92 and older) second generation (93-97) Prizm also with my 01 Prizm

Prizm drives like a much larger car yet it gets 42 mpg mostly highway!

I love the gas mileage and the drive train capabilities of the ancient Prizm and the Egyptian color of Metallic Cashmere Taupe!

Very good car
By WP

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 9 years and it is a very reliable commuter car. Does what I need it to do and does it when I need it to do it. Good car. Excellent reliability.

Reliability.

A very good little car
By Patrick

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this for $3000 over the summer to replace a Cavalier. Mileage is great, performance is pretty good considering it only has 125 hp. Put some decent tires on it and cornering is really fun. Stereo is not too shabby either. Only drawbacks that I have encountered are fading paint, the interior plastic around the door frame is peeling (that most have come from the GM part of the joint project), and no center armrest. Besides that you can't beat it. Like everyone else has already said, it's just a Toyota with a Chevy emblem on it. A very easy way to save $2000 vs a Corolla, and even more on gas. This thing is bulletproof with proper maintenance. The perfect city car!

Stereo with standard CD player sounds good. Turns on a dime. Toyota drive train. Great gas mileage.

Some of the interior plastic is very cheap. Door handles seem to fall apart (cheap plastic loses its integrity when exposed to prolonged heat exposure). No center armrest. A 60/40 fold down seat would have been a nice standard feature.

Good Value
By Jenifer

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Prism in 2006. It is very reliable. I am the 3rd owner. I bought the car with only 11,900 miles. Now I have 25K (2008). So far, replaced the battery, motor in the power window (drivers side), front brakes & recently all 4 tires (which were org). Considering the vechicle is 7 years old, so far so good. I bought the Prism since it's the Toyota Corolla. I intend to keep my Prism for many years to come.