Used 1999 Chevrolet Prizm Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Prizm

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

No regrets
By Starving student

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I really can't say enough about this car. It is the first car that I have owned and I'm afraid it may have set the bar too high for my future vehicles. I try to keep up on the routine maintenance, but even when I don't, the car is extremely forgiving. It has given me 50000 miles of trouble free driving and all I have given back is oil, tires, brakes and a battery. This amazes me because my wife learned how to drive a 5-speed on this car, it is not garaged (it gets buried in snow every winter and withstands sub zero temperatures) and we drive it all over the western US during the summers. On a recent trip, I calculated that we averaged 44 mpg! Bottom line: this is an all around great car.

The engine is sufficient to drive the car at 65 up most hills in 4th gear. Cruise control is handy on road trips. Makes use of random interior places with storage bins. Handles well in snow and ice. Driver seat slides back far enough for taller drivers.

A fold down rear seat would improve cargo capacity, but on the other hand I have transported snow skis, camping gear, suitcases and some furniture. Besides, who buys a compact sedan for cargo capacity?!

Most Reliable Car Ever Owned
By RPriest

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used 7 years ago. Days in shop for repairs since then? Zero. It performs exactly like the first day I bought it, and still gets the same outstanding city mileage (31 mpg). This is a car with no hassles. I can't say enough postive about it.

The controls are extremely handy. The gas mileage is great. Completely reliable.

The car has a tendency to lose hubcaps, or maybe it's my driving :-)

Car is awesome
By lovemyprizm

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought my Prizm because of the fuel economy, and figured it would at least get me back and forth throuh 4 years of commuting to college. It's now at 124,000 miles and still runs like it's new! There are little things that are starting to wear out now, like my heater/air conditioner blower only works on high, but thats just age and can be delt with. This is a totally reliable car and gets great gas mileage. I average anwhere between 35 and 40 mpg depending on the type of driving I'm doing. I would reccomend this car to anyone thinking of buying one. It's a practical car, so if your looking for sporty it's not the car for you.

Great gas mileage. I love that the lights turn themselves on and off!

One of the best small cars
By Josh

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I was surprised when I first drove this car. For a 1.8L 120hp this thing sure has some pep to it. It is fun to drive, economical and super reliable! The dealership said they repaired the driver's side door handle once and it just broke again, so the door handles are super cheap. The A/C is cold and cools the car fast. It handles well, and is highly recommeded to all! Too bad they stopped making it!

Toyota enine, fuel conomy, relibability

A little better interior quality. The door handles are junk

Reliable Cutie
By Bahadir

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I needed a car to get me from point A to point B. My Prizm has a nice design, and is pretty quick with a Japanese engine and drivetrain. I thank Chevy for the decision. Best idea ever--no problems. Only changing oil was enough.

Reliability. Nice design for a midsize four door.

Nothing